Wow, day just turned into night...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Down here in Kealakekua.

It went from bright to where I had to turn on a light to see the keyboard. A surge of wind just blew everything off the top of my desk.

The wife called 2 minutes later from the hospital (works there) to tell me to pull everything out of the yard because they're talking tornados are likely as there is heavy circulation in the storm....

Whee!

hang on, the lightening here last night was very intense and the thunder deafening!

Wow, you guys get Tornados on the islands? :huh:

TCDiver1:
Wow, you guys get Tornados on the islands? :huh:

Not often, more like mini-tornados. I probably should have said "possible".

I've seen a couple of waterspouts a couple miles out to sea and last fall I saw what I would call a genuine (Hundreds of yards across at the top) tornado barely touch down for about 10-15 seconds, down in the Honaunau area above painted church road. I saw the funnel as I was driving down Napoopoo road - I pulled over and watched it for about two minutes.

My neighbor said she's seen 2 or 3 waterspouts slam into the pali at Kealakekua bay over a 15 year period.

I guess it's an issue of hard weather coming across the ocean and suddenly bumping into a huge mountain. You rarely hear of anything more than some roof damage.

justleesa:
Hang in there!!!

It turned out to be just a half hour to hour event at my place, we were on the fringe. Two miles away they had tons of rain, hail and wind. I did hear fourth hand tonight from a guy in Waimea who had a friend who lost his roof today that a tornado may have touched down in Captain Cook. Just a lot of leaves on the road and a fallen papaya or two in our neighborhood.

This afternoon and evening the water was glassy flat in Kona. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

That's almost good news. I heard that one of the hotels in Waikiki was underwater...I'll ask Roger in the morning which and how much....I just remember it was major.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom