Cobra would not shut off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chivas

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I dive with Cobras. After several days of multiple dives we took a few days off. I noticed that her's shut itself off, as it should have, but mine did not. It read AC in large letter across the top and showed the time and date. 4 days latter mine still had not shut off. That day we dove again and both worked perfectly and both shutoff as they should have. I dive Nitrox and she uses air but I do not see why that should make a difference. Any ideas why mine acted up? Anything I could have done to shut it off? Thanks

Try rinsing the water contacts thoroughly with fresh water. I don't have my manual here with me, but I believe AC means "Active Contacts". Salt greatly increases the conductivity of a little moisture which would otherwise not cause this issue.

jiml:
Try rinsing the water contacts thoroughly with fresh water. I don't have my manual here with me, but I believe AC means "Active Contacts". Salt greatly increases the conductivity of a little moisture which would otherwise not cause this issue.
I agree, sounds like you have salt or water trapped in the housing by the water contacts.. This could happen if you put it in the padded sleeve while it was still wet or not rinsed well after a salt water dive.

If it happens again, I would try rinsing again in fresh water to reset the AC and then hopefully it will go off in a timely fashion. That way the battery is not is use for 4 days.

Mike

Definitely salt build up on the contacts. The same thing started happening on my Vyper and battery life was reduced. Nowadays I give the contacts a good blow as soon as I get out of the water. Rinse with fresh water ASAP after the dive and dry the contacts with the corner of a towel.
My 2nd battery is already lasting much longer than my 1st.
I learned my lesson. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions. I never considered the contacts or the fact that A C could mean "active circut". Appreciate the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom