Out of Eilat experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHorseWoman

Contributor
Reaction score
I live in the middle of Israel and dive in the Red
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Red Sea divers,
I'd like to see this section of SB get more active, so I thought to post my experiences here.

I'm a new diver, certified last December at AquaSport in Eilat. The folks at AS have been wonderful-----great instructors and very warm----I really feel at home there. My instructor, Ben has been both demanding and patient--he wants me to be a good safe diver before I go out on my own with other not so experienced divers. I'm starting to get pretty good at most of the skills, but would probably get lost without a guide!
My last time down there I had some amazing dives. The first day we went to the Caves to get me back into diving after a month break. They feel like home cause I had dived there a number of times before, and snorkled there alot. So it was fun and practice, and my first *overhead* --OK, just a 3 meter swim through, but I didn't hit anything, so that's good.

The next day I did my first ever boat dives. We walked across the border to Taba, were AS has a center, too, and sailed to Ras Burka, the Fijord, and Coral Island. Sooo beautiful. Massive coral--I felt like I was flying through the turrets of a castle. Brilliant colors of coral, lots of fish. Also new skills---first *giant stride*, first time keeping my depth without the bottom for reference. We took some pictures with a cheap camera--Gabe says my trim was good from the pics.

The last dives, though the easiest, were the best. One, we started from the Caves, went to the Three Rocks, and up to the Lighthouse. This was my longest swim--51minutes, and I was totally relaxed. It's only 6 meters deep, but I only used 100 bar ---good for me. The other we went from the Caves down to Princess, also 6 meters and very relaxed. I did that one with Asaf, a photographer. Since I'm a student he wasn't allowed to bring his camera, a shame since there would have been some fine pictures. I like to go slow and really examine what I'm seeing, so a photogragher is a good buddy for me. We were swimming along slowly, peacefully when an incredible vision appeared before us. It looked like birds flying in formation out of the heavens. We sank to our knee, gesturing awe and amazement. 40 opalescent squid (we counted them), the closest only about 3 meters from us. Inspiring sight. On that same dive I also saw a huge eel, about 2.5 meters long with a big scary wide open mouth and 10,000 razor sharp teeth. I said hello and moved away. And my first tiny beautiful nudibranch.

Can't wait to get to Eilat again.

Barbara

Barbara,

Glad to here you are enjoying you start into diving. Once you get more certified, it will open up a lot of great diving in the Eilat area, and Aquasport is a great group to dive with. When I am in Eilat, if I am not diving with them, I am normally relaxing at the bar.

You'll have to try the shore dives in Taba. They can be as good if not better then the boat dives. Ecpically if the boat has more snorkelers then divers.

Also, Aqaba has some nice dives, that can be done as a day or weekend trip from Eilat.

djkpsu:
Barbara,

Glad to here you are enjoying you start into diving. Once you get more certified, it will open up a lot of great diving in the Eilat area, and Aquasport is a great group to dive with. When I am in Eilat, if I am not diving with them, I am normally relaxing at the bar.

You'll have to try the shore dives in Taba. They can be as good if not better then the boat dives. Ecpically if the boat has more snorkelers then divers.

Also, Aqaba has some nice dives, that can be done as a day or weekend trip from Eilat.

Yes, I'm looking forward to some of the deeper dives, not to be deeper, but to see more. Next trip down, I'm planning on the Taba shore dives with Steve. Are you ever there during the week? I have to be (want to be) home with the family on weekends.If you are, I'm easy to find---The oldest woman diver around ---gandma flirting with the boys! (and the fish):05:

shrswnm:
Dov,
Are you visiting in Israel or live here? I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences with those courses.

It's sort-of both. I am from the United States, but I am living in Israel for a year through my youth movment, Habonim Dror. In Hebrew it's called שנת הכשרה, and we spend the year living in a communal framework, studying, and volunteering in schools.

EDIT: I just noticed your location is Israel: אני גר בעכו - התנוע שלי כמו הנוער העובד והלומד בחו''ל

דב

Hello, I may travel to Tel Aviv in Aug 2006. Looking for advice on dive organizations and places to go, distance to travel, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

shrswnm:
Yes, I'm looking forward to some of the deeper dives, not to be deeper, but to see more. Next trip down, I'm planning on the Taba shore dives with Steve. Are you ever there during the week? I have to be (want to be) home with the family on weekends.If you are, I'm easy to find---The oldest woman diver around ---gandma flirting with the boys! (and the fish):05:

I am normally only there on the weekends, but sometimes if I am told I don't need to come in to work for a few days, I can shoot down during the week.

When you do the dives with Steve, bet him that he has your name tattooed on his arse.:wink: :D :D

Back
Top Bottom