SS Thistlegorm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjc1989ds

Reaction score
Just wondering, how much of this wreck will I be able to see without a wreck diver certification? Obviously I can only go round the outside but is there much to see in the way of artifacts on deck? thanks

You don't need wreck certification to dive it. You need AOW because of strong currents on the way up.
You can enter the wreck and see most of the things - passages are realy wide so there is no problem even for a non wreck certified diver. Your only limitation is no deco time. Most of the explarations are done at the depth of twenty something meters. This is why it's much better to dive it with nitrox if you are nitrox certified and willing to pay extra.
Mania

thanks a lot mania, im not yet nitrox certified but am doing course on liveaboard so maybe i will do the practical aspect of course on the thistlegorm.

If you visit the Thistlegorm on a liveaboard you will have time to offgass between dives. If you do it on a dayboat from Sharm you are likely to get a much shorter surface interval. I did it that way last year and went into deco pretty quickly on the second dive. Nitrox would have been a definite advantage.

The deepest parts of the wreck, the screw and the steam loc sitting next to the ship, are at 31 meters, ideal for EAN32. We entered the hold on the second dive to see the famous trucks loaded with BSA motorbikes and rubber boots and maxed out at 24 meters.

Some folks say the Thistlegorm doesn't look as good as it used to. I enjoyed it a lot anyway.

Art

I dove the Thistlegorm yesterday, it was one of the roughest dives i ever had on the Thistlegorm; i mean bad visibility, SRTONGGG current, and high waves (almost 2 meters) .. but the only relief was these two white tip sharks, for the 1st time in my life to see the white tip shark (and on a Thistlegorm dive).
I did the Thistlegorm almost 20 times so far .. and everytime i do, my desire grows stronger to do it again. Ok, i confiss, I'm addicted to this wreck.

The campaign was launched by HEPCA at the UK Dive Show in October 2007
Saving Wrecks
The Campaign is the first of its kind and proposes a detailed safeguard plan to implement a mooring system, and a change in common vessel operational procedures that contribute to the degradation of the wreck. A complete educational and awareness program will also be rolled out to encourage more environmentally friendly briefings and best practice.
The campaign will commence with the SS Thistlegorm, which will be inaccessible from 15th November till 15th December 2007 to carry out all necessary conservation measures that will help to preserve this historical and legendary wreck for the future.
The Campaign will later target the Rosalie Moller and other Red Sea wrecks under threat.
During the intense conservation operation, the wreck of the SS Thistlegorm will acquire a complete buoy mooring system; separate descent and ascent lines; and air-escape outlets to allow for pockets of disposed air from scuba tanks to escape.
We have witnessed for too long the long-term effects of an unprecedented level of use on the SS Thistlegorm and many other wrecks in the Red Sea. Without the intervention of proper preservation management we will lose these valuable wrecks forever.
We hope that all diving operators and organisations will stand together to assist in the realisation of this unique operation and the Saving The Red Sea Wrecks Campaign.

News about the environmental protection of the Red Sea

More news:

Dear All,

Kindly be informed that the actual work regarding the operation of the Thistlegorm will start on the 2nd of December .the assessment phase was completed by a team of scientist from the marine science department –Suez Canal University-.the report will be published on our web site shortly. The physical drilling work will be done by the HEPCA divers and will start on the 2nd of December and will take 10 days . It will not be permitted to have any diving activity within this period for safety reason.

Once again we thank you for your cooperation and support.

Temporary inconvenience for optimum convenience .

Best regards.

Amr Ali
Managing Director
HEPCA

Check out my photos. There's 3 I took on the Thistlegorm in April 2007.

Back
Top Bottom