New Brunswick in July, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim & Ted

Reaction score
We will be vacationing in New Brunswick the first 2 weeks of July and want to do several dives. We will be based in Fredericton, but can travel anywhere in the province. Would like any information on top dive sites, lobstering regulations, etc.. Thanks for any help or contacts.

hey there. i am out of campobello island off of deer island and we have some of the best diving in the province. loads of sea life to see and although you cant lobster in canada you can however do scalloping.
here off the inside coast of campobello iualnd there are several spots you can limit out on your scallop permit. these are available from the fisheries office one of which os located in fredericton. on queen street. if you would like to know more email me at stacey_n_jamie181@hotmail.com or add me to msn messanger if you have it . i have a dive boat that could accomodate the both of you for dives in this area.

Kim & Ted:
We will be vacationing in New Brunswick the first 2 weeks of July and want to do several dives. We will be based in Fredericton, but can travel anywhere in the province. Would like any information on top dive sites, lobstering regulations, etc.. Thanks for any help or contacts.

Since you'll be based in Fredericton, you may want to check the NB Divers listserv. Many members live in the Fredericton area and go diving to Deer Island almost every weekend. Deer Island is not exactly a beginner dive site, but it can be managed depending on your experience level and if you can get hooked with local divers. There's also the possibility of hiring a boat to visit various islands in the area.

If you are willing to travel anywhere in New Brunswick, you may want to get in touch with the Moncton Dive Club. On top of organizing weekend dive trips to Nova Scotia, they also organize weeknight dives in the Northumberland Strait area.

Also, if you don't mind visiting the French-speaking areas of Northern New Brunswick, you might be interested to check Club des Oursins in Anse-Bleue. They organize wreck dives as well as scallop dives in the Bay of Chaleur.

Hope this information will be helpful to you.

-André in Fredericton

I"ll be going to NB in the fredricton area for a couple weddings in august. Last year we drove out to Pointe-Vert and dove at the Quarry there, forgetting the name of it but it is just set up for diving. 0 to 120 feet I think. The vis was amazing and they have some stuff sunk to take a look at. At the same time they had the Scallop dive fest going on as earlier mentioned but we didn't make it there. Just remembered the name_Atlas Park Quarry. Stayed at a Camp site near by-very nice

as i said in my post i have a boat you can hire and im very reasonable. and like andre stated deer island isnt for beginners. i have several spots that are just as good as deer island with the same sea life to view with less risk. chartering a dive boat takes half the swimming effort out of tide dives.

stacey_n_jamie:
as i said in my post i have a boat you can hire and im very reasonable. and like andre stated deer island isnt for beginners. i have several spots that are just as good as deer island with the same sea life to view with less risk. chartering a dive boat takes half the swimming effort out of tide dives.

Don't know if you got the e-mail I sent to your hotmail address.

Although we live in Connecticut most of the year we spend about two months total time in Lubec looking across at Campobello. Our home in Lubec is just down the road from the air fill station in Lubec. I do most of diving off Eastport and Deer Island when the ferries are running and once in a while off West Quoddy Head. I'm looking for more spots to dive and am particularly interested in finding something off Campobello. I'd be interested in hiring your boat from time to time and also in any shore diving spots you may know of.

There really aren't many boats to hire in the area for diving. Years ago I used Sparky Too on Deer Island but none recently.

Let me know where I can contact you. We're thinking of possibly heading up that way Easter weekend but maybe not until Memorial Day (US).

DSDO

Alan

Drop me a PM.. will be on Deer Island for the Canada celebrations. Have safe trip up.. btw the canada day celebrations on deer isl. are pretty nice. They have fireworks display in the evening and so do some of the surrounding areas....

There are plenty of places to dive, I am sure you will have a good time.

i used to work for sparky too did his dive mastering for him. we used to be able to go to lots of dive spots around the deer island and campobello island area. one of which has been removed by none other than a local dive shop on deer island. my family and i were witness to the "theft" of grind stones at the spruce island dive site . its in the atlantic divers handbook or at least it was. a former salmon site owner and his brother who runs the dive shop used a salmon barge to lift the stones off bottom. i counted at least 20 stones onthe deck of the barge. when asked they stated that it wasnt theft but they had every right to take the stones. i thought that anything in the water over 100 years old would be an archeological site and should remain. when i left the area i noticed several dive charter boats and approached them , they all rushed over to the site to take pictures of the crime in progress. too bad there want more done about it as that was a great dive site and now im sure it is gone.

Back
Top Bottom