Lake Jocasee (South Carolina)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was fortunate enough to meet Debbie Fletcher (author of the book @ scubanicks'link) at Bill's shop last fall. How awesome an adventure this would be. Bill had plans to shoot a video of the site. Don't know if he has done it yet.

diveprof:
I was fortunate enough to meet Debbie Fletcher (author of the book @ scubanicks'link) at Bill's shop last fall. How awesome an adventure this would be. Bill had plans to shoot a video of the site. Don't know if he has done it yet.

Well, I can't let a topic on Jocassee go unaddressed! Thanks for the link to my book site! (It was nice to meet you, too!) Bill hasn't finished a video of the Lodge yet - we are still waiting on that perfect - and rare - combination of good viz and no lighting or camera malfunctions.:bncry: And with only 20 minutes on the bottom each time (it's a 300-foot dive), it will take a long time to complete a video.

I'm countin' the days till dive season at Jocassee. It will probably be late May before I can get up there. I got new dive equipment for Christmas and am anxious to try it out. Hope to meet a lot of you up there. Debbie

Jocasseegirl:
I'm countin' the days till dive season at Jocassee. It will probably be late May before I can get up there. I got new dive equipment for Christmas and am anxious to try it out. Hope to meet a lot of you up there. Debbie
Here Here Debbie. I am waiting for the lake to get a tad bit warmer in the shallows myself. I can't wait to get back up there though this summer when it is warmer. Maybe you can come on out and get some dives in with us.

Matt

Corigan:
Here Here Debbie. I am waiting for the lake to get a tad bit warmer in the shallows myself. I can't wait to get back up there though this summer when it is warmer. Maybe you can come on out and get some dives in with us.

Matt

Would LOVE to! I just got my OW last September and only got about 7 dives in before the warm weather (or water) ran out. I've been to the Junk and to some of the stuff at the ramp - saw one of the airplane wings and boat with a toilet sitting in it. I'd really like to spend some time looking at the fish - and the shoreline and trees. I've spent this weekend visiting my two uncles and reimniscing again about what a wonderful place Jocassee was.

Jocassee is good diving for a short dive. Bill runs a great operation (Off the Wall Dive Charters). Looking forward to a return trip as things warm up. We seem to hit it lucky when we go. I think about 25' is the worst vis I've seen. Last trip we spent both dives at the cove with the junk (some folks with me were not ready for the cemetary). We have dove the junk several times so we did things a bit different. We found a way to get three "walls" on one dive using nitrox. Leaving the line from the junk to the wall hang a left and enjoyed the wall at an acceptable depth for our mix. After a fairly long swim, we took another left and after a short swim we ran into another wall a 60' (runs more or less parallel to the main wall). Hanging another left we swam a while until the NDL grew small, then we hung a right and hit the cliff face in 20' of water and hung another right. We saw a fair amount of fish is the shallower parts of the dive The dive track looked sort of like an "S" where we strted at the bottom. Just another suggestion for those looking for another way to dive the cove.

diveprof:
Jocassee is good diving for a short dive. Bill runs a great operation (Off the Wall Dive Charters). Looking forward to a return trip as things warm up. We seem to hit it lucky when we go. I think about 25' is the worst vis I've seen. Last trip we spent both dives at the cove with the junk (some folks with me were not ready for the cemetary). We have dove the junk several times so we did things a bit different. We found a way to get three "walls" on one dive using nitrox. Leaving the line from the junk to the wall hang a left and enjoyed the wall at an acceptable depth for our mix. After a fairly long swim, we took another left and after a short swim we ran into another wall a 60' (runs more or less parallel to the main wall). Hanging another left we swam a while until the NDL grew small, then we hung a right and hit the cliff face in 20' of water and hung another right. We saw a fair amount of fish is the shallower parts of the dive The dive track looked sort of like an "S" where we strted at the bottom. Just another suggestion for those looking for another way to dive the cove.

Wow! I'm doing good right now just staying off the bottom and not stirring up silt! I'm looking forward to making some good diving progress this season.

Back
Top Bottom