Ground Travel to Sharm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamieS

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm new to ScubaBoard, but have already gotten lots of info here.

I have need of advise from some Sharm locals/experts.

I will be traveling in the Middle East in July. I will be visiting family in Jerusalem then driving with them down to Eilat to walk across to Taba. That part is easy. They have done it many times before. Now, we want to get to Sharm to board our liveaboard for a great week of diving. We have been told it is easy to get a taxi to Sharm from Taba. But, there seems to be no way for my family to set up the transportation ahead of time. They keep being told it is for security reasons.

My question is, Is it normal to show up in Taba and hire a taxi to Sharm with no reservations? How much should it cost? (there will be 4 of us 2 divers, 2 non divers)
And, about how long is the drive (time)?

Thanks very much,

Jamie

No problem to show up in the border and get a Taxi without prior reservations.

I think it is something like 350-400 Egyptian pounds for the whole taxi and about 3.5-4 hours drive, but I am not sure about the exact sum since in the last years I arrange transportation Taba-Sharm with the safari operator and sleep all the way :wink:

The Taxis in Sinai are not what you may consider an, errr, European or "western" standard. They can take up to 6-7 passengers. At night it is better to sleep- you really don't want to see how they drive and how they conserve fuel :wink:

There is also a bus from the East Delta Company running from Taba to Sinai once or twice a day, but I don't remember the hours. You may try calling the bus company by phone or google their website.

As for the diving, it is great indeed.

Thanks very much. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Now, I can't wait to get down there and dive.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom