Vytec Nitrox and Air Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carbon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have observed a unusual behavior with my Vytec and the wireless transmitter, and wonder if anyone can shed some light:

I dive in nitrox mode all of the time (when I dive air I just set the FO2 to 21%). In nitrox mode, the Vytec indicates the FO2 as part of the display. When there is less than 30 minutes of air time, this part of the display indicates remaining air time.

On the last few dives, when the remaining air time (RAT) is displayed, it will quickly decrease the RAT to zero. It takes 30 to 60 seconds for this to happen. As I stare at the display for another 30 seconds, it increases the RAT to the correct value in another 30 to 60 second interval.

I thought it was due to low batteries, so I replaced the both the Vytec and the transmitter batteries before this last dive trip. There was no change in the behavior.

My first thought, was that the Vytec was losing communication with the transmitter. On second thought, it seems like the pressure transducer inside the transmitter is somehow malfunctioning and transmitting a pressure of zero for a while, then resuming with the correct pressure a short while later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
carbon

I've had the EXACT same symptoms, contacted the mfg with the issue and they didn't think it was an issue. The issue on mine is not isolated to the nitrox mode but it does seem to occur when I have other electronic devices with me during the dive. I must say that its pretty exciting to see your pressure reading at 2200 and the next minute its at 200, especially at 70 ft.

I have the Vytec too. Hope you all have an SPG too.

Thanks Aerodog,

I'll see if I can isolate the interference -- it might be my buddy's computer.

Quarrior, you give excellent advice. Do I dive without my Vytec? -- Sure. Do I dive without a SPG, analog depth gauge, and a watch? -- Never!

Carbon

Back
Top Bottom