Sherwood "Source" Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brubee

Registered
Reaction score
I need to find some answers from someone who has used this unit. I am a new diver wannabe who is in the process of gathering equipment. I have a "Source" computer which I have purchased from EBAY.

When turning on the unit it goes through a process of "booting up". Then, it starts a time mode. During this time there is a posting of various depths and *I assume* the time allowed at each depth.

My question is that the times posted seem extremely conservative. For example, 30' for only 1:08, and 40' for 0:38.

This process goes on until it represents 160' for :04.

What am I seeing here? Is this a true representation?

Will the times differ when the computer is actually used?

Or - does it need replacing?

Thanks
Bruce

Hi Bruce, and welcome.

I don't have a Sherwood computer (and that one apparently dates from the early 1990s!). But here and here are the respective manuals for the version with and without user-replacable batteries.

Yes, the scrolling display, when you power the thing on, shows your no-decompression time remaining. Obviously, the data will be different before a repetitive dive, giving you less NDL time.

But you're right, the times you quote for 30' and 40' are way low. The Sherwood manuals (page 19 of the first one) say that the display should show 2:60 (hours:minutes) for 30', and 1:36 for 40'.

What # is showing at the top while it's scrolling? It should show #0 if you're looking at initial NDLs, which you should be.

I assume you got the computer without a manual. I think you need to be very familiar with the user's instructions for a piece of equipment like this -- that's why Sherwood and most other manufacturers make the manuals available on-line.

Forgive me for saying so, but from your question "Will the times differ when the computer is actually used?", it appears that maybe you're not real familiar with dive computer principles and use? Oh... "new diver wannabe"... never mind... just please make sure you understand the stuff during your OWD course!! :D

What I would try is to re-set the computer... though I can't see in the instructions how to do that.

Otherwise... :06:

--Marek

You are right... but i am familiar enough to know that these numbers are not realistic.

I guess my question is whether this is based on historical data that will change when used for the first time, or is the computer destined to be incorrect.

The manual that you suggested (2710) eludes to the possibility that the info is based on historical data from prior uses... But i am still confused.

Looking for someone with product knowledge

Thanks
BB

Bruce--

Again plunging boldly forward into non-product-knowledgeable territory... :D

Hey, no one with first-hand knowledge had chimed in yet, and that's unusual around here!

No, the computer would be showing adjusted NDL times (less time at each depth) only if a dive or dives had been made with it within 24 hours prior, from which you'd still have residual nitrogen in your tissues. After 24 hours, the computer would have "cleared," and would now be showing non-repetitive NDL times as you and I expect -- similar to physical dive tables.

So you've got the model where the batteries are replaceable? Did you install new batteries when you got it, or has it been lying around however long with old batteries?

If it was the old batteries that were still good (since the computer apparently started up OK), then the computer should certainly have cleared itself and be showing non-repetitive-dive NDLs like it shows in the table in the manual. And in that case, from what I understood from the manual, the screen should be showing a "#0 PLAN" at the top when it scrolls.

If that # number is an integer greater than zero, that would mean the computer is taking into account -- or think it's taking into account -- a previous dive or dives within 24 hours.

If you installed new batteries, then that should have cleared the computer too -- the memory completely wipes out with that model when the batteries are removed. So something is definitely not right. Only hope I could see, again, would be to find a way to re-set the computer. There's a non-intuitive way to do that with the newer hockey-puck computers, but you have to scrutinize the manual... and I unfortunately don't see any reference to re-setting in the Source manual...

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom