Huntsville Next Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skyking

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading for a conference in Huntsville next week and wondered with the passing of Rock Divers if there was any local scuba activity and whether I should bring the gear?

It depends on how long you are here. There is a small quarry located around Moulton about 40 mi south west of Huntsville. Also, there is a quarry in Birmingham (Pelham actually) called Alabama Blue Water. Both are a little on the chilly side right now, at least for some. I dove Blue water last December and Moulton last November. Not sure if Moulton has re-open for the season yet, but I think if there are enough divers (4 or 5) they will open up. Blue Water is currently open Wednesday thru Sunday. Their website is at http://www.divealabama.com/ Between the two Blue Water is the more interesting

Water's still cold in the local quarries that open up.... you diving dry or wet?

Got a couple people down here that dive still year round in drysuits in the quarries. Mostly between Moulton or BlueWater. Rocketman can be talked into diving this time of year if you just tell him "the waters not that cold".

What days(dates) next week (or weekend) were you interested in diving? I'll check with a few folks to see who might be diving?

Been offline a couple of days. If the water's below 50 I'll bring the drysuit. Leaving Dayton, OH area about 3-4 AM HSV time which should put me in the area a little after lunchtime. I'm one of the conference organizers so the schedule is a bit hellish. Have a tight window on Sunday afternoon, a good one mid-morning/early afternoon Friday, and some evening possibilities during the week.

Quarry's running about 55f from the reports I've read about Bluewater (in Pelham) and about 45-50f in Moulton Quarry.

DUI Demo days ia also at Bluewater this saturday/sunday. FYI.

Bluewater is open I think all week now.
Moulton is open for 4 or 5 divers minimum paid. ($15 each. I know some people who get 2 or 3 togehter and just pay the minium and split it. that way they get the whole place to themselves.

mike_s:
Moulton is open for 4 or 5 divers minimum paid. ($15 each. I know some people who get 2 or 3 togehter and just pay the minium and split it. that way they get the whole place to themselves.

That's always nice. Been in a few local quarries here where there were just 2-3 of us. No students to crud-up the water. Quality diving at far less than the cost of a boat ride!

I dove Blue water at the end of the summer and I enjoyed it alot. It is a little difficult to find of you dont know it is there.

FYI, I dove BlueWater yesterday and today and it was not too cold. If I am not mistaken, the water was around 64f at the surface. I wore a 3mm Farmer John and I was fine. When we got down near 60 ft or so, it started to get a little cool.

Oh yeah, War Eagle!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom