Total Sun Eclipse in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very lucky you are, would love to see one.

Red Sea Shadow:
Today, March 29, at 12:38 PM, we witnessed a total sun eclipse at Saloum in Egypt. It was really magnificent. Temperature started to drop rapidly by around 12 degrees C.

Anyone have been diving during the eclipse? I was just wondering if there was some notable change in fish behaviour due to the eclipse.

Here in Israel there was only a partial eclipse (83%)

Hope you enjoyed it! I saw a total eclipse when I was living in Europe. It was totally erie. The birds were all quiet and the streets were empty- everybody wanted to see it. I even closed my store for an extended lunch..it was a very interesting experience.

It was only a partial eclipse up here, but unfortunately it was overcast all day. Or maybe fortunately; I was at work.

We saw a total eclipse in southern Germany in 2002 or so... the first I'd ever seen. Maybe the same one that Leesa saw? Absolutely amazing. There were thick stormy clouds covering almost the whole sky... but then, just at totality, the clouds separated just in that direction. And there it was... a black hole in the sky, surrounded by the corona... just like in pictures.

Darkness, except for daylight all around the horizon.

Wow. Something that strange and rare is just indescribable.

We all had the ultra-high-density mylar to look through... but I just had to take a direct peek at the total eclipse, to see the corona. Risky, I know... but I just had to...

--Marek

Jai Bar:
Anyone have been diving during the eclipse? I was just wondering if there was some notable change in fish behaviour due to the eclipse.

Here in Israel there was only a partial eclipse (83%)

The total eclipse took place in Salloum, which is 900 KM away from Cairo. It is in the northern west part of Egypt on the Mediterranean near Libya so it's far away from the Red Sea.

Back
Top Bottom