Who makes a good weight system that attaches to a harness b/p setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cybordolphin

Reaction score
I am looking for a harness attachable weight system (Integrated).
I know that Halcyon makes one. But the price is well......
stupid.

Are there other good quality makers out there with a good product?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I recently purchased the Weight Trim system from DUI for $98 through my LDS. I own a DiveRite TransPac II with integrated weight pockets, and find the pockets too small and too high up on my body for my liking. This system from DUI solved all of my problems! DUI now has a new system out (not sure of the price), but I can enthusiastically recommend their unit that is "special priced". You will not regret the purchase! :) I now use my empty DiveRite pockets to store stuff while diving.

I actually have the DUI weight harness $73 on Ebay.. It does not allow you to remove the weight and reinstall it in the water is the only problem. Currently I am taking some classes that require the removal/replacement. I was curious if the Diverite or the Halcyon, were a better choice for this.

Other than not being able to replace the weights in the DUI underwater, did it work for you? I want to switch from my BC to a BP, but hate weight belts, and was looking for an alternative. Did you wear the DUI weight system under your BP harness?

Maybe I am missing something here. I am not sure I follow you. You can remove weights from the tops of the pockets on the DUI underwater and replace them (provided the pockets are below the BC, which in my case they are). Grabbing the yellow handles and releasing the weights is for emergency dumping; in which case you will have to restring the pocket to the harness.

I don't know if putting weights in underwater is really that important. Are we talking about bouyancy checks?

In any case, DR makes a pair of pockets which are different from the IW. They are basic pockets with velcro flaps for about $25/pr. Sorry I forget the name... possibly trim pockets. They hold about 8lbs of weight... a little more if you try really hard. Smaller than the ACBs and DR IW. I attached a 1" QR to help keep the flap closed, similar to the ACBs.

How much weight do you need? Zeagle makes some small trim pockets which were meant for the tank strap. Should work well if you only need like 4# in each pocket.

Ken

I thought about using the Halcyon system but there is one drawback to having the weight on your harness-the weights on your harness. Halcyon is also ridiculously expensive.

I find the "harness weight" to pull downward so hard that it makes getting the harness tight enough a problem. It's also clumsy to use. This is with a lot of weight e.g. dry suit diving.

I just bought a Northern Diver weight and trim system. It is a harness with shoulder straps. Hydrotech has a similar system. The Northern Diver system cost me about $100.00U.S.

I don't need much wet diving wet-even with my 3/5 wet suit. I plan on using the harness only for dry diving when I need a lot of weight due to the AL80s I use and the neoprene suit I use.

I had some drills removing and replacing weights in water at the surface. For the drills I just used a weight belt. I just released my crotch strap first... removed the weight belt and then replaced the weight belt. Then reinstalled the crotch strap after. That worked. We were not allowed to remove a few weights at a time and put them back in, etc.. It was complete "ditchable" weight removal and replace.

Anyway... I am super pleased with the DUI weight harness that I have used since those drills. It works very well, and is extremely comfortable carrying the weight. I recommend anyone to try one.

As far as snagging one of the large pull handles, and dumping some or all of your weight at the wrong time in the wrong place...... I think you could figure out some way of modifying the pull handles if that were a concern.

I was actually standing on deck with my DUI weight harness on.... fully weighted (20 lbs), and forgot I had my weight on. It was that comfortable. It does a good job of distributing the load to your shoulders instead of your hips and back.

The adjustment in the DUI weight harness allows you to easily drop the weight pockets to a comfortable level below your BP harness. You can also adjust the weight distribution for trimming.

All in all.... very happy with the DUI weight system. I have the latest/newest version.

I could see where having your weight on the BP harness belt (Halcyon or Dive rite integrated weight systems) would/could be a pain trying to get suited up. Unless you installed the weights into their pouches after you were suited up and strapped in to your BP harness. Not sure that would be the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom