Computer in the console or on wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor

Contributor
Reaction score
My current setup is dive computer (Sherwood) in the console, Citizen watch (max depth, dive time) as backup. While I have been content with this setup for over 12 years now the impending switch to enriched air has made me consider other options.
I like the idea of having a backup. The citizen was sufficient for air but I suspect I will need something more advanced for enriched air. If I use 2 computers they will display different results. Obviously I will have to use the more conservative of the 2 results which could be a drag.

I have had 2 watch straps go on my Citizen, one without any warning, fortunately on land and I broke the fall with my foot so no damage. On dive boats consoles can easily get banged about, tanks dropped on them, etc, touch wood never happened to me so far. When you are back in your room your dive computer and log is in the locker, boring.

So opinions please
Wrist versus console?
Is my watch sufficient as a backup?
Which Computer for primary and how conservative is it?

My profile :scubadive
I hope to be doing a lot more diving in the near future as a move to Malaysia is on the cards.
My current setup was expensive at the time but has done me well for over 12 years. So longevity is more important than cost.
I normally do not dive deep, bottom time and ambient light is more important. However if there is something to see I will go there.
I love unlimited shore diving, and have done 5+ dives a day in Bonaire so I can be pushing the no deco limit easily without breaking 60 ft.
I have not done a liveaboard but definitely will do in the future.

victor:
So opinions please
Wrist versus console?
Which Computer for primary and how conservative is it?

Imho:

Wrist versus console? Wrist.

Yes. Plan your dives - the depth (assuming current depth and max. depth is shown) and time indicator on your watch is enough information if you know what you are doing.

Which Computer?

I personally do not like "watch size" computers; I prefer a big display and big buttons. Am quite partial to the UWATEC Aladin Tec (good size, great gauge mode with stop watch function that works during a dive).

http://uk.uwatec.com/products/al_tec_wrist/al_tec_wrist.asp

I take mine out of the UWATEC boot and put it in a Deep Sea Supply mount for a more compact package. It will fit the "Elastomeric Mount for Uwatec Digital Bottom Timers."

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page19.html

And how conservative is it?

From my limited experience (as I normally use mine as a bottom timer in gauge mode), the Aladin Tec is a "middle of the road" dive computer, less aggressive than the Pelagic computers (Oceanic/Aeris/Sherwood/Seeman etc.) but not as conservative as Mares, Suunto or Seiko (Dive Rite) devices.

victor:
I hope to be doing a lot more diving in the near future as a move to Malaysia is on the cards.

I normally do not dive deep, bottom time and ambient light is more important. However if there is something to see I will go there.

You'll be tempted deep in Malaysia. There are schools of scalloped hammerheads waiting down there... :wink:

Given the choice, I can't see any benefit of console over wrist. Build out your dashboard and get your essential info on your wrist.

I use bungies. When I'm lobstering I simply slide the thing up to my elbow if I gotta reach into a hole. After bug in bag, I pull it back down.

Best place for this important info is where you'll see it often. Get it on your wrists.

---
Ken

I would go with console.Anything on a wrist strap will eventually break. I have a wrist Vytec and other console mounted computers and console is safer.If you tend to stick your arms in holes looking for bugs, the wrist strap is always in the way.I would use a bottom timer and an SPG for backup. I am assuming the primary computer is air intergrated.Suunto is very conservative and some people do not like that aspect. It is your call conservative,1.4 or on the edge 1.6 PO2.

Advantage of a console is that it cannot fall off, and you cannot get in the water without it.
I have heard of a number of watches where the strap has broken, or gone slack and fallen off. Yes normally when it is stretched over a 7 mm wetsuit very tight to avoid it going slack under pressure.
I agree on your wrist you don’t have to go looking for it. I normally check my watch if I am just going to check my depth.

It would be good to have pressure gauge on the wrist so everything is there at a glance. I worry slightly about the reliability of the sender units.
The big advantage of that would be only 2 hoses, 1 for the air2 and 1 for my primary.

Other opinions welcome.

Now bring on these hammerheads. :D

I have a wrist mounted computer and have a strap that goes through one of the holes in the wrist band then I cut it down to fit tight over my wrist. So if the computer strap breaks it will stay with me, but dangling. I paid $3.00 for the strap and if it saves my AI computer then it has paid for itself.

An additional benefit of a console is the ability to glance down at it any time (assuming to clip it off correctly) while using your hands for other tasks.

I prefer the wrist. Much easier to check and you can put a lanyard on for protection. If you are worried about not getting into the water with or with out your computer you should do a better pre dive check. I use an Oceanic ATOM with a transmitter love it and dont have to seach for my spg unless I want to check as a backup.

ianr33:
If you put your computer/bottom timer/compass in one of these mounts
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page19.html You have redundant straps.If one breaks you dont lose the computer.

And sliding a bungeed gauge onto your wrist is SO much easier than doing up fiddly straps wearing gloves

I know I want one of those strap boots. I have a Oceanic VersaPro and with a button on the right side, how would I access that button or actually get the VersaPro to fit in that boot?

Back
Top Bottom