Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Zimmerly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking about purchasing some lights for some recreational diving, in particular the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light. Any comments about dependability, service and reliability would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

In my opinion - POS -----

I went through 3 of them in a year before I went tec and puchased a canister light...

For a straight light, go w/ UK. Never had a problem with any of their lights...

Regardless of brand, LED is the way to go unless you want to spend the bucks for a HID light.

I used my Princeton Tek Shockwave LED maybe a half dozen times before the insides literally disintegrated. I purchased it while I was away, so I can't go back to the LDS where I got it. I've tried to find Princeton Tek online to see if I can send it back to them to fix, but so far no luck.

Frankly, a dive light that comes apart inside, after not particularly rough use, is a disgrace. Not to mention this thing cost about a hundred and twenty bucks.

I get the sense these lights are designed to look like a UK but they are essentially crap.

There are other lights, for about the same price, that are better.

Jeff

I don't know what happened to Vince's lights, but ours have been great and really bright. We looked at the UK HID, but at $80 a pop for bulbs, I'll stick with my LEDs. Plus Princeton Tec has great customer service (for us anyway) and is great about fixing gear or sending new stuff out. Just another opinion for you....

And jtoorish, try here... http://www.princetontec.com/contact/

jtoorish:
I used my Princeton Tek Shockwave LED maybe a half dozen times before the insides literally disintegrated. I purchased it while I was away, so I can't go back to the LDS where I got it. I've tried to find Princeton Tek online to see if I can send it back to them to fix, but so far no luck.

Frankly, a dive light that comes apart inside, after not particularly rough use, is a disgrace. Not to mention this thing cost about a hundred and twenty bucks.

I get the sense these lights are designed to look like a UK but they are essentially crap.

There are other lights, for about the same price, that are better.

Jeff
Try this link. http://www.princetontec.com/ Last time I checked they had a lifetime warranty and were great to work with.

Well for the $$ it's a decent light imo. Just be careful when taking it apart to replace batteries... Mine broke when the tiny switch inside broke off. I mailed it back to Princeton with only my return address. Got it (or a new one) back in 3 weeks. Then, of course I broke it again when assembling it at the dive site with cold, wet hands. I literally broke the bulb off as I wasnt paying attention when putting the lens back on. Totally my fault. Lesson - be careful! And assemble the thing BEFORE getting all your other gear on and feel the need to rush. Oh, and the light is pretty damn bright!:wink:

I've had great luck with that light. It's bright and the batteries last a long time.

Both Princeton and UK will replace a light no matter what you do to it in my experience. If you can't find them, then you' aren't looking. I have dropped lights that were flooded probably due to my error in the mail and had a brand new one within a week. Never a question asked...

Just got one back last week. It had a crack that caused it to flood. I emailed Princeton Tec and they replaced it. I emptied it of batteries when I shipped it and it came back with batteries. BTW, I bought this used and they still replaced it. For the money they are good.

booth22:
I don't know what happened to Vince's lights, but ours have been great and really bright. We looked at the UK HID, but at $80 a pop for bulbs, I'll stick with my LEDs. Plus Princeton Tec has great customer service (for us anyway) and is great about fixing gear or sending new stuff out. Just another opinion for you....

And jtoorish, try here... http://www.princetontec.com/contact/

Just sent them an E-mail, we'll see what happens.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom