Water - What is the right amount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

countryboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In taking a new approach to a "healthy" life.. I have been doing more and more research.

Imagine my surprise when I see (from various soources) that too much water is bad for you..

The "standard" answer is 6 - 8 servings (8 oz.) of water each day, while adding more for diuretics (coffee) and additional to replace what was lost by working out.

At what point are you drinking too much water?
When does it actually start to harm you?

Since I sweat a lot while working out, is this part of the product of too much water? -or- Do I need to consume that much additional to replace what was lost?

Thank-You in advance.

I drink about 3 litres a day. I do most of that at my work. I drink a cup or two of coffee when I get out bed and another one after lunch. The rest is water.

With that much water my body makes it clear that more is not necessary... :D but it's not a problem I figure my spleen and kidneys will love me for it. There have been times on vacation in warm countries where my body tells me that 3 litres a day is the minimum.

R..

I drink about a gallon of water a day. I live in Colorado and in Florida. Living in Colorado, we tell visitors to drink as MUCH water as POSSIBLE.

I have never heard of TOO MUCH water. Unless you consider running to the bathroom to P every 30 minutes a problem... Would you please post info on "too much water" - I am curious.

Unless you are underwater it is very difficult to drink too much water. Sometimes marathon runners will experience a serious condition when they drink too much water and don't replace the electrolytes that sweat out while they are running. This can be very serious, as many body functions rely on a balance of electrolytes. In order for this to be a problem you have to drink a lot and be sweating. I'm not sure what a typical amount of water that might lead to this is however.

howarde:
... Would you please post info on "too much water" - I am curious.

The snip below is an excerpt taken from here:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

<snip>
Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes.
Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.
</snip>

This was a quick search.. and I have found other similar articles..

and the reason I ask .. Is when I work out I sweat A LOT!.. Usually drink water during the workout, and Gatorade, V-8, juice afterwards.. With additional (12 ozs.) of water about an hour or so later...

Yeah... If you drink more than 4 gallons of water in a day. So like this part of the article says... don't concern yourself with too much water. 15 Liters = 3.96 Gallons

the article that countryboy refers to:
The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

As others have pointed out, dilutional hyponatremia (the condition brought on by drinking too much water) is mostly associated with the prolonged sweating and sodium loss associated with training for and participation in ultra-endurance events. While there is no need to force water all day long, drinking to desire should not be a concern for someone who is otherwise healthy.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom