Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No - my BC doesn't have them and I don't care to try them

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • What's a trim weight?

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgangi

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curions to see how many of you use trim weights with your BC (especially back floaters). I've been told my a number of people that the use of trim weights helps keep them balanced underwater and assists with the tendency to flip forward on the surface. But I've also been told by others that trim weights are worthless and a hazard (they aren't "dumpable" and therefore can be dangerous, even if the trim weights are small).

I recently purchased a Scubapro Superhawk NT BC but it doesn't have the trim weight pockets on it. The Dive Rite I used on my last scuba trip didn't have trim weights either and I thought it would have been nice to at least tried to use trim weights. I felt like the 8lbs I was carrying in the built-in weight pockets on the Dive Rite was too much to carry on the forward part of my body.

I was considering buying some trim weight pockets to mount on the tank strap of my Superhawk to use to hold small weights. And I've seen a number of contraptions out there, all with slight differences between them. So before I make the purchase, I thought I would see what everybody's opinion was about the usefulness of trim weights and what they use on their BC's that don't have them built in.

Thx...Doug

They do help on the surface, but as you said its non-ditchable weight. You generally don't need a lot of weight in the pockets, so it should be okay.

I have some trim pockets from Zeagle. They fit on the tank strap and can be position close to the wing/BC. Each hold about 4 lbs, which is more than enough capacity. Used to use 1lb in each pocket.

Alternatives for staying upright on the surface. If you use a weight belt, try distributing weight towards the back. Try not to inflate the wing as much.

Alternative for staying horizontal in the water. Have a shoulder down attitude, tilt your head back, bend your knees. If you bend your knees too much you will pivot down, straighten them and your shoulders should start pivoting up. Adjust your legs to get the proper trim.

Ken

My BC has some small trim pockets on the back, I use a 2.2 pounder in each when I'm in my wetsuit. I don't notice being pushed face down with or without them.. I think that if you're overweighted, you'll overinflate to stay up at the surface, and that does push you on your face. You can always lay back on the wing.

Anyway, I dive with 24 pounds or less in a 2 piece 7 mm.. I can only get 24 pounds in my bc's weight pockets. I plan on putting a 5 pound soft weight in each of the trim pockets, and that should get me enough weight for my new drysuit.. so they're not so much useful as trim weights, but just somewhere to shove extra weight. An LP 95 would be nice, but I can't afford a couple of those just yet.

If you can dump more than 6 pounds, that should be plenty in any situation unless you're wearing too much weight..

Are you having any specific trim problems with your BC? I can't imagine 8 pounds would be too much for an integrated weight pocket..

The only ditchable I carry is my can light. I only dive doubles so don't require much weight. I use a v-weight cut in half (about 4 lbs) with double aluminum 80s, that's it.

I find trim weights to be a hassle if not a hazard, I don't want anything attached to my tanks where I can't get to it.

As for BCs with trim pockets, you still shouldn't need it. If you're not overweighted, you should be able to maintain trim.

Tom

I have three options...

1. The DiveRite TransPac II does have trim weights (sold separately, of course) that clip onto the back sides of the harness using ss quick links.

2. The TP II can also take the small, removable clip-on weight pockets that will hold up to 5# each. I haven't tried these, but I think I will get a couple. Looks like they would work pretty good for travelling.

3. Finally, if you only carry a little weight or just need a little adjustment to keep your face from being pushed forward, you can either strap one of the trim weights (they have a belt loops for two inch webbing) or get a generic tank weight to go on the tank strap.

I personally use nos. 1 and/or 3 above.

One thing I did learn is that positioning front weight pockets too far forward on the TP II will throw off the trim on some people. When my LDS showed me how to move my pockets further back so that they almost at my side, it solved the problem.

I'm not familiar with the construction on the Scubapro Superhawk, but I thought I'd throw the above information out here anyway in hopes that it might help.

Hey ScubaFishee, thanks for the advice. The Superhawk NT doesn't have moveable weight pockets like the Dive Rite Transpac. They are fixed on the hip bones, which is a fairly neutral position.

When I used the Dive Rite, I had a hell of a time getting the weight pockets shifted back. And even with the assistance of my LDS, there wasn't much flexibility in where they could be mounted without throwing off the routing of the shoulder straps. I wanted the weight pockets farther back than they were, but whe I finally got them there I didn't like how the shoulder straps felt. That's when somebody told me about trim pockets but it was too late -- I was leaving for my dive trip the next day and the Dive Rite didn't have any.

That's why I have been asking about trim weights. The Scubapro BC that I recently purchased feels good in the pool, but it may feel differently on a dive. And if I don't like where the weight sits on my hips, there are no built-in trim pockets to add some weight to attempt to improve matters. Based on some of the comments so far, it sounds like a lot of people use them.

Where exactly do the Dive Rite trim pockets attach? Do they clip on to the tank strap? Or do they mount to the soft backplate somewhere?

Thx...Doug

I have a weight belt purchased from dive store as trim weight.
It is a 6 pocket cordura/webbing style belt, in two sections, 3 pockets on each side. The two sides are joined with a couple of loop retainers. I have split the weight belt in half, so effectively I have a 3 pocket weight belt with a bit of 3" webbing on each end.

I have attached the belt acrross the back of the Transpac cummerband. in the same way the shoulder straps are connected. The retainers are on the TP Belt, and the weight belt webbing loops through as well. Its sits really nicely across the back, sort of looks like a Fanny pack, but is out of the way. I dont put weight in the middle one, so the tank is not a problem. When using doubles, I dont need trim weight anyway, so its removed.

Havent had any problem with it so far, and it seems to work well.

I also use the back pockets for keeping keys etc in.

.... are what they're called.

dgangi,

According to DiveRite's website the pocket can be attached to the waist strap, cylinder cam strap, or any other 2.0-inch/50mm.

I couldn't find a picture of your Superhawk on ScubaPro's website during a quick search, so I can't really make an informed suggestion about how you might best mount it.

But, mounting on the tank strap is a definite possibility...

The are also 'dedicated' weight pockets made for the transpac with velcroed "T" handle dumps.

They have 3 webbing loops. The shoulder strap comes down through the top one and the belt goes through the bottom 2 loops. It covers the shoulder strap base-plate.

The weight sits on my sides just a little bit towards the back that way. I use 8 lbs each side and 2 x 4 lb trim weights on the back rings with the 7 mil wetsuit (24 lb total).

I just got the transpac and havn't had the opportunity to really figure out the true ins-n-outs of it yet. I'm sure I'll be moving things around after the first few real dives with it when I learn what I do and don't like... :wink:

I got a pair of the clipper pockets as well but I havn't decided quite where to put them where they would be usefull yet.

Maybe they will replace the regular, large weight pockets on my next tropical dive trip as I only need about 6 pounds of led total down in the islands with my old BC (seaquest pro).

edit: Added pics...
http://members.aol.com/dc4bs/BCD_small.jpg

I use 2lbs of trim weight in each back pocket of my Knighthawk. The Superhawk is an earliier version of the same basic BC. Here is a link to the Navy's site that has their opinion on weighting for the Superhawk.

http://www.supsalv.org/anu_page.html#SCUBA EQUIPMENT

Mine does push my face down, but I find the more neoprene I have on the less the BC does this, but I do notice when I am wearing a shorty that I need to give a little kick to get myself up on my back, even with the trim weights and a steel 95.

Spend time in the pool if you are able to playing with your weighting/trim with the type of tank you will use and the different exposure protection you will use. My son is recently certified and we spent about twenty minutes with the type of tank he uses that was low on air- started at 500 and ended at 300 psi - working on his weighting and trim. He dropped 4 lbs of weight and had a much better profile in the water the next day at the lake.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom