Whiskey Wreck and Alabama Point Jetties 4-1-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Whiskey Wreck

I met up with SeaYoda and Gulf Gulper at the McDonalds in Loxley Saturday morning before heading to Gulf Shores, AL to dive the Whiskey Wreck. The surf report was calling for knee-thigh high surf in Pensacola, so we would have to make a judgement call onsite to decide if the dive would be worth it. Patrick arrived onsite about the same time as we did, so we were ready to go check out the water right away. Surf was running thigh high with bigger sets, but the seas were fairly glassy past the break so we decided to go ahead with the dive. The four of us geared up completely before entering the water(even fins) and made some of the most gracefull entries, ever, really.?. We found the wreck easily and even managed to tie the flag off, after a bit of struggle. The surge was pretty strong and it kicked up quite a bit of trash and sand on the bottom giving us around 5' visibility and less when you were caught up in area with bad surge. There really wasn't much current, so that was a plus :) More fish are showing up, pinfish and spades have returned to the wreck and its still carrying the sheepshead and blennies its had over the last few dives. I managed to find a hole somewhere to 16' and our dive lasted a bit over an hour including the swim back to shore.

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album18

Alabama Point Jetties

We drove out to the Alabama Point Jetties to see dredge piping scattered across the beaches and the channel. Some of the pipes crossed our entry point with "No Trespassing" signs. There was another set of divers who had arrived before us and we waited to see what they would do before deciding to dive. They went ahead and entered the water and we didn't see anyone get sucked up into the dredger so we decided to follow after about a 2 hour SI. There was little current and while deeper, we didn't have to deal with the surge we had on the previous dive. We opted not to come around the point to avoid the surge and reduced visibility...and the extended walk back. Visibility was around 10-15'. My alt airsource had a slight leak so I figured I would be the one to turn the dive, and it was the case :11doh: We saw quite a few schools of baitfish in the area and even a butterfly fish, so hopefully the tropicals are on their way back. I maxed my depth at 28' somewhere in the channel and my dive lasted 51 minutes before I exitted at our entry point.

After exitting we headed to Tacky Jacks, but were discouraged by the wait time so we headed across the street to Calypso's and were seated immediately for a good late lunch. I think everyone had a good time, I know I did!

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album52 including a crappy panaramic showing the dredge plumbing across our entry/exit point.

Glad to hear the dives were great ..I wish I could have went but work is killing me right now!!!!!!!!!! The only diving I have been able to do is on Mondays and Tuesdays ..But it looks like my next few weekends are freed up , I have some freinds coming down this weekend and we're planning on doing some diving....Ill give you a yell if we do .......JWhit

Thanks for the reports Mat,
What's the water temp running now?
Rick

jwhitlock:
...I have some freinds coming down this weekend and we're planning on doing some diving....Ill give you a yell if we do .......JWhit

Definately give me a heads up.

Rick Murchison:
Thanks for the reports Mat,
What's the water temp running now?
Rick

67F, something that should've been included in the report - D'Oh!

Thanks for showing us your dive spots Mat.

I thought the surge was quite refreshing :blinkinge . Those were some of the most graceful exits that I've ever done - now I know what a turtle feels like when it's flipped on it's shell :D. Here are my pics:

Yoda that hermit crab is just plain cute.
Don't know that I've ever seen a hermit crab that was cute before :)
Rick

I always see the hermits that are brown and white striped - this blonde one was new for me.

SeaYoda:
BTW Mat, the panorama looks great especially when you consider the waves in that corner.

Oly Master quickstitch, didn't even bother cloning all the crap out of it :) Did it just to show the plumbing all over the beach...which brings me to a slight update...

One of the guys at my LDS dove on Sunday and said they had all the piping out of the way when he was there - figures!

The dredgers are waiting to see where I dive next :laughing:.

Back
Top Bottom