Wexford

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dundas

Reaction score
Has anyone been on the Wexford, just off of Grand Bend Ontario??

I am going this weekend and was wondering if it was marked or not. How deep?? and if there are any cool things to look for on the wreck.

thanks

Jeff:jester:

In answer to my own question, and to share with others (next time I'll do an internet search before I ask the question!!).

There is a great website on the Wexford at

http://www.shipwreckwexford.ca/

Apparently the site is well marked, and it looks like a great site!!

I'll let people know how it was next week after I dive it!!

Jeff

According to "The Great Lakes Diving Guide" by Cris Kohl....

The Wexford is a steel steamer (250' by 40' by 23') who went down with all hands in tthe Great Storm of November 1913.

She was built in 1883 and sank 7 miles off of Grand Bend, sitting upright on the bottom. There are port holes, and may other artifacts on board including a brass ID plate on board.

She is in 78 ft of water.

Enjoy.

Anyone have GPS co-ordinates for the Wexford?
My understanding is it's about 20 minutes boat ride from Grand Bend.

:blfish:

MIke D

It is about 15-30 min boat ride depending on the boat and the weather. A great wreck that the last time we went it was easy to dive it twice as there is lots to see. I did two dives this year that were 71 ft and 80 ft. Don't remember if it is 80 feet right to the mud or not. Lots of space to get in and go through the different decks and most of the time you can still see daylight from everywhere. Take a light. I don't have the GPS numbers.

I think the Wexford is a great wreck! Very open and loaded with artifacts. You can see some pictures of some of them on my website www.avalanchediver.com. The only bad thing is there is no protection from our prevailing west wind. I have taken the boat there three times and only been able to dive it once. The one time we did dive it the conditions were great until we spotted several water spouts on our surface interval. By the time we got to shore my 34 scarab had stuffed into BIG waves more than once. The wreck is about seven miles NW of Grand Bend. There was a very large bouy on it, visible for at least two miles.

WOW Fantastic Wreck!!

I dove it last weekend off my boat!! There is a ton of things to see!! Very well marked with a buoy.

We had about 60 feet of vis. The sun was so bright at around 40 feet I had troubles seeing my computer due to the glare!!

Lots of artificats,... it was great!!

Thanks for all the info everyone

Jeff

Thats only about 2 hours from my friends house in Port Huron. Are there any local charters out of Grand Bend that go out there for dives? Or do you have a boat that you took out there? After diving the Niagara II up in Tobermory, I would love to dive something else like it. An 'in-tact' steel wreck.

Thanks!
Erich

I used my own boat. But I think there is a charter out of Grand Bend,... haven't been able to find out how to get on it though. While we were diving the charter came out, their boats holds 6 people I think.

If you have a boat... I put mine in Port Franks, it's a nice boat launch... and then we went out the channel,... and then almost straight North, was at the wreck in about 25 minutes. you can see the marker from a ways out.

Sorry can't be of more help

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom