Padi dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyromaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
Just been exploring my new OW dive pack and discovered the dive table card and instructions.

Do they do these in a larger print size anywhere (UK) even with my specs on I have a hard time making out table number 2 - the grey shaded one marked in hours/minutes.............

I realise this is for taking on the dive with you so by necessity has to fit on your person, but is there a clearer version for pre planning purposes ?

There is the demonstration table which you will see used in class, but it's about 3 foot wide and £38+VAT!

That's the only larger table that PADI produce. Sorry

Dom

You can try a magnifying glass, should work even underwater. However, if you plan your dive and stick to it, you won't need to refer to the table underwater.

Hmm - dont think I need a 3 foot poster just yet !!

I'll see if I cant photocopy / enlarge it for home use.........

thanks guys

Gerry

Dive-aholic:
You can try a magnifying glass, should work even underwater. However, if you plan your dive and stick to it, you won't need to refer to the table underwater.
A regular mag glass won't work UW because the index of refraction of glass is too close to water. It's possible to get special ones that will work (which would be nice for looking at little critters as well.)

Even if you were to take the tables with you, Table 2 is only needed when figuring out the effect of a surface interval on a repetitive dive.

My 57 year old eyes also have trouble with Table 2, so I use an alternative table I put together where all the tiny numbers of Table 2 are replaced by a single row of numbers. One does have to do one addition to use it however. The numbers in the table are generated by a spreadsheet, so they do differ from the PADI table by a minute here and there, but it is based upon the same deco model as the PADI RDP and the Wheel.

The file is in feet, but you could make a similar table in metric by simply scanning the backside (Table 3) of the RDP, and then adding in the SI row of numbers. That row is just the Z pressure group row from Table 2 (For ease of calculation, it's in minutes only rather than hours and minutes.)

If you inspect all of the zillions of numbers in Table 2 you will note that the time to go from any pressure group to another is independent of what pressure group you started in, so you just need the single "time from pressure group Z" row -- if you are willing to do a single addition, in much the same way that one adds residual nitrogen time + actual bottom time to get equivalent bottom time when determining the pressure group after a repetitive dive.

Your LDS probably sells an underwater magnifying glass with a protective cover for a reasonable price....mine does!

Hmm. I seem to recall a specialized device designed just for this purpose. I believe it's called "reading glasses". :cool:

Terry

Pyromaniac:
Just been exploring my new OW dive pack and discovered the dive table card and instructions.

Do they do these in a larger print size anywhere (UK) even with my specs on I have a hard time making out table number 2 - the grey shaded one marked in hours/minutes.............

I realise this is for taking on the dive with you so by necessity has to fit on your person, but is there a clearer version for pre planning purposes ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom