Equipment Comparison source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a source for equipment comparisions. I am looking to buy my first set up (proably starting with a suit) and was hoping to find a manufacture/features/value comparison chart in a magazine or some other medium.

Thanks in advance!

Roaf

Personally, I dont think there is a truely "unbiased" source of comparison out there. Your best bet in my mind would be to talk to other divers, remembering that some have very strong opinions that there is but one way....theirs....and compare all the info you get with all the experience you can get on different kinds of gear you have rented....or tried out somehow.

A good example that comes to mind recently is.....there is a wetsuit company that claims one of their models is dry before you can even take it off. A couple of write ups by dive mags seem to support that claim. Yet, while diving in Hawaii...a diver had one of these suits and was very unhappy because it never dried!

Just do your research then do like the rest of us....pray!

pdive:
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a source for equipment comparisions. I am looking to buy my first set up (proably starting with a suit) and was hoping to find a manufacture/features/value comparison chart in a magazine or some other medium.

Thanks in advance!

Roaf

Roaf,

I think you have already found the best source, right here. Ask away. The "signal to noise" ratio here can be kinda high, but with the right "filters" you eventually get useable data.

Good Luck,

Tobin

Roaf,
Wait, rent study and compare. Look for best buys and high choice counts from lots of long time swimmers. You all ready have a good start. Good luck!
Pete

cool_hardware52:
Roaf,

I think you have already found the best source, right here. Ask away. The "signal to noise" ratio here can be kinda high, but with the right "filters" you eventually get useable data.

Good Luck,

Tobin

Trust me I be bothering you all a lot. I just wanted to do a little homework to ask the right questions. Thanks all.

daniel f aleman:
The best site on the internet for major-brand scuba equipment comparisions:

http://www.scubadiving.com/scuba/gear/

While I don't think the Scuba Diving major-brand comparisons are bad, I think they tend to test the brands that "buy advertising" in their magazine more.

You'll find the comparisons very helpful, but just realized that they don't test "all brands" out there. So asking around about other brands might be of use to you.

cool_hardware52:
Roaf,

Good Luck,

Tobin

Dude.....
Signal to noise ratio??????? You a signaleer?????????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom