Trimix Classes In Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDostal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know if there are any Trimix classes available in Wisconsin? I am in central wisconsin, and wouldn't be against an hour or two of travel to get the instruction - I'm used to driving an hour and a half to hit up my favorite dive site (Lake Wazee).

I have been deep diving for quite some time now and want to continue doing so, but I want to begin doing it safer. I like being down there, seeing things that hardly anyone has seen before. But, I don't like knowing that I am narked and unable to handle emergencies or anything that could come up as well as I could handle it at shallow depths.

Just curious if anyone else from the area would know or could recommend an instructor (contact info would be nice) that a few friends and I could use.

... you need a class on the skills that are necessary to do the kinds of dives that you are doing... but to do them safely.

The trimix part is the easy part... add helium.

Check out www.gue.com and consider travelling the distance to take a DIRf and then Tech 1 class for starters. The head knowledge stuff should come easy... plan on going back in a month to try completing the skills portion.

I know I need the skills - that's just one of the reasons I want to take the class.

And yeah, I could just blow some helium into a tank, but hey, I'd rather learn how to do it than by guesswork :wink:

I need to learn it all, I guess. I know there is someone teaching in Madison, WI. I talked to someone at Lake Wazee when I was there, and he told me he was receiving his Trimix instruction and such from someone. Me, being the idiot I am, never even thought to ask who the heck it was. Doh!!

It doesn't matter that you forgot to ask. You got the best answer from UP. If you want to dive mix safely and competently I STRONGLY recommend the GUE fundamentals class followed by Tech 1.

Just the fundamentals class alone will increase your skill level and diving awareness many times over. It will also give you the foundation to properly evaluate the path you want to follow.

omar

GP once bubbled...
There are a couple shops off of the top of my head in the twin cities area that do a lot of technical training at Lake Wazee in Wisconsin.

Yeah, I see the groups from Minnesota there a lot! Some guys from MN were there this weekend diving rebreathers...always interesting to watch.

Hey, where do you live?

Anyhow, of the four dive shops in the area, the only one that does any real technical diving is Diversions Scuba. They do TDI stuff; the owner, Tami, does a bunch of cave diving.

See: www.diversions-scuba.com

Other than that, I don't really know of anyone else in the area that would be teaching Trimix, unless he or she isn't affiliated with a LDS.

HTH. If you have any more questions, earl@pants.earlh.com -- to email me, take my pants off :D

-earl-

earl once bubbled...
Hey, where do you live?

Stevens Point, WI...about an hour and a half North of you. Thanks for the link, I will be checking that one out.

Take a look a Cobb's trimix website... and after reading all the stuff there... realize that this guy has done a lot of trimix dives... and after taking a DIRf he came to some conclusions... well I'll let you ask him in an email what he thinks about training agencies....

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/trimix.html

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Take a look a Cobb's trimix website
http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/trimix.html
I was checking this site out and I am wondering about this little piece taken directly from the site regarding Nitrox: "Inflammation of lung tissue from long term exposure- You can calculate your exposure to minimize this, but reports are coming in from the field of "lung burn out" caused by high levels of 02 which are well under the standard limits." Could someone explain this a little better for me...how high of a level of O2 do you suppose he is reffering to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom