Chlorine Barge - Off Daytona Beach-Secret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bristolxyz

Registered
Reaction score
I have finally obtained the loran numbers for the "Chlorine Barge" (that's the name the locals have given it) off shore Daytona Beach (Ponce Inlet). We are planning to dive on it later this week and I have had a hard time getting any information on it much less the nightmare I went thru to get the numbers for it.

I need information such as the vessels real name, exact date of sinking, etc.

For some odd reason, it was not a documented sinking, and details are sketchy as it's been a closley guarded secret dive / fishing site among captians for several years now.

It was a non powered push barge over 500 ft long, sits in about 120 FSW at 38 Miles NE of Ponce Inlet. Supossedly is a beautiful dive, I'm looking forward to it.

I would be grateful to anyone that can provide me with any information.

Warm regards,

Bristolxyzh

You might try contacting AUEMike. If anyone on this board knows about it, it's him.

Tom

bristolxyz once bubbled...
I sent him an email from his site, Thanks for the help.

The Mike that runs the site (Mikey) is a different person from the Mike that comes here (AUEMike). There's also another Mike that generally dives with them (Sleepy Mike). Toss in one Joe and you pretty much have the core group of AUE. Confused yet? :)

Send a PM to AUEMike here on scubaboard. I think he's out of town right now and those guys are always busy but he'll eventually get back to you if he has any info that could help you.

Tom

Hi Bristolxyz:

I don't have any specific information on the Chlorine Barge for two main reasons - one, it's a barge; and two, tons of barges have been lost both accidentally and on purpose north of Canaveral (furthermore, all over Florida). Since it is a barge it really has not come on my radar screen to research. Furthermore, frequently (true) barges fall through the cracks as far as documentation and loss records. If it was a converted vessel later used as a barge you should be able to track down some good intel, especially if you can learn its true name. Additionally, many (true) barges had very generic names (e.g., BA1, BA2, etc.)
Without some clue to assist with looking for its origin, it would be tough to ID. I would ask around the fishing community. Many times they can help out with information on wrecks, whether letting you know when and how it was sunk, or more specific data.
While the "chlorine" in the name may help by indicating possible cargo when she sunk, sometimes these local vernacular names are misnomers and simply unrelated nicknames.

BTW, have you guys dove the "Manacamp" (120fsw?)? I want to eventually research that a little -- appears to be a barge with crane equipment on it but I have not dove it yet to confirm. Supposedly covered in fish all the time. I know a lot of guys fish it but not too many guys dive it.

Tom - I did some digging on the Fughedaboutit Wreck and don't have any good news to report. Since it is most likely a WWII casualty, the newspapers are no good since they censored any details of ship sinkings aside from stating "survivors of a ship sunk of this coast were landed on so-and-so date" after late February '42.
I was familair with the internet list of ships you sent me and have visited many of those wrecks (off NC-MD), but there were no new surprises there.
I have a few suspect vessels from going page by page through Lloyd's WWII wreck returns (foreign-flagged and domestic) but no good ones. Odds are it will be one of the vessels simply reported missing, and there are tons of those.
The one good suspect I had was the Ohioan, which was carrying ore (that matches with the melted metal in the holds), but the big conflict with that one is she supposedly was unarmed, thus the wreck's deck gun screws that up. I guess will have to go dig for the bell next trip....

You are right, there are too many Mikes. On one trip we ran we had five Mikes on the boat. When someone said "Hey Mike" half the boat turned around to answer. BTW, Mikey R. hosts the site with his internet company, I run it and am POC. I got Bristolxyz e-mail, just did not have time to answer. Also, there are several other core guys you have not met yet, but will later this year I imagine.

Anyway, sorry I could not help more.
Cheers,
"Barney"

aue-mike once bubbled...
Tom - I did some digging on the Fughedaboutit Wreck and don't have any good news to report. Since it is most likely a WWII casualty, the newspapers are no good since they censored any details of ship sinkings aside from stating "survivors of a ship sunk of this coast were landed on so-and-so date" after late February '42.
I was familair with the internet list of ships you sent me and have visited many of those wrecks (off NC-MD), but there were no new surprises there.
I have a few suspect vessels from going page by page through Lloyd's WWII wreck returns (foreign-flagged and domestic) but no good ones. Odds are it will be one of the vessels simply reported missing, and there are tons of those.
The one good suspect I had was the Ohioan, which was carrying ore (that matches with the melted metal in the holds), but the big conflict with that one is she supposedly was unarmed, thus the wreck's deck gun screws that up. I guess will have to go dig for the bell next trip....

You are right, there are too many Mikes. On one trip we ran we had five Mikes on the boat. When someone said "Hey Mike" half the boat turned around to answer. BTW, Mikey R. hosts the site with his internet company, I run it and am POC. I got Bristolxyz e-mail, just did not have time to answer. Also, there are several other core guys you have not met yet, but will later this year I imagine.

Anyway, sorry I could not help more.
Cheers,
"Barney"

Hi Mike,

Yea, digging for the bell may be the only answer in the end but I'll keep poking around in the records as I know you will also. Sometimes just a little mention in an obscure source... I've been pouring through "Axis Submarine Successes" but it's really hard to come up with anything there as it's just a seemingly endless list. I had hoped something on that list I sent you would click as those were specifically identified as being "shelled". If you have an extra seat when it comes time to dig for the bell I'll be happy to fill it.

Lotsa Mikes! Yep. I'm looking forward to meeting the other folks whenever the chance comes up. Have been most impressed with all AUE folks I've met so far.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom