Question about the Pioneer 27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I've got some ideas here...

But before I go into them, I'm looking for someone to explain to me how that integrated STA of the Pioneer 27# wing works.

I can see from pictures that it simply appears to be a solid piece of fabric sewn in the middle of an ovaled "donut" shaped wing... And in the fabric are grommets for bolting the wing to the backplate. Six, to be exact (three for the top and three for the bottom bolts), although only two (one top and one bottom) are designed to be in place at any one point. Then there are slots cut into the fabric and into the plate's "raised spine" for a pair of tank straps. It's my understanding that you could use just about any tank straps you wanted, including Scubapro's awesome stainless steel cam straps.

Is there anything I missed? Is there some kind of structure hidden in the fabric of the wing? What holds the tank stably against the backplate? Without the "shoe" effect of an STA, what holds that tank still? Is it just the tank strap? Doesn't seem that stable, or that revolutionary...

What holds the tank from resting against the heads of the bolts that hold the wing and backplate together?

...sewn into the middle of the wing on either side of the grommet holes... they serve to locate the tank... and they work well except you need to have your straps tight... and if you use the old style plastic cam buckle eventually they will break... Detroit Diver had that happen this weekend (on an STA however)... so I use the new SS buckle from Halcyon.

BTW... yes the bolt heads can contact the tank and if you have pretty painted tanks you won't like it... so leave the bolts off... they are merely a convenience when changing tanks but not necessary to hold things together during a dive. If you have manly galvanized tanks no problem with the bolts touching. :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
If you have manly galvanized tanks no problem with the bolts touching. :D

Argh, argh argh argh. LOL!!

I see! I get it... So it really *is* an "integrated" design. Interesting. Hmmmm...

Yeah, and the bolt thing, or rather, the ability to leave them out, is interesting, too.

I've got some ideas... Wheels a-turnin... I sent FredT some ideas, too, and he seems interested... But he hasn't contacted me back yet.

Hmmmmmm... Still kickin' around some ideas...

Back
Top Bottom