partial pressure and safety factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_dragon

Reaction score
i was wondering what does partial pressure and safty factor....means. it is in the dive mode... can some one give me a better understanding... i am trying to understanding my cressi Archimedes II, 3-gauge console a little better...

sea_dragon:
i was wondering what does partial pressure and safty factor....means. it is in the dive mode... can some one give me a better understanding... i am trying to understanding my cressi Archimedes II, 3-gauge console a little better...

A Nitrox course would answer all of these questions with a bit more detail, but I'll give it a try.

As you know from your OW class, every 33' or 10m doubles the pressure on your body. Thus at 33' you're breathing twice as much Oxygen. If on land you're breathing 21% oxygen, then at 33' you're breathing 42% oxygen. Make sense?

During the 1940s, medical practitioners started seeing problems with using 100% oxygen for long periods of time (problems = death in this case). It turns out that Oxygen becomes toxic in two ways: Pulmonary Toxicity and Central Nervous System Toxicity. The people died in the hospital because the high doses of oxygen caused the internal lining of the patients lungs to oxidize (i.e. rust and bleed if you will). The patients drowned from their own blood. To prevent this from happening, studies were done to determine how much oxygen over a particular time period would be acceptable. These studies helped us address the issues of pulmonary toxicity in diving which is discussed in a Nitrox course.

The CNS toxicity problems were another issue. Since Oxygen is metabolized, our bodies are affected by oxygen in many different ways. Because Oxygen under pressure doubles every 33', thus increasing the percentage of Oxygen in the gas with breath, we needed to determine acceptable limits of Oxygen in the gas we breath.

They use the term Partial Pressure of O2, or ppO2, to describe the percentage of Oxygen in a mix under pressure. The standards are ppO2 of 1.6 as the max, and a ppO2 of 1.4 for average dives. Mind you, I'm skipping over a ton of information provided in a basic Nitrox class, and would advise taking the class to fully understand this topic.

Your computer gives you the option of adjusting the ppO2 limits you are comfortable with. For instance, for Tech dives we train to keep the working ppO2 of our gas mixes around 1.1 to 1.2 to be more conservative, and use a ppO2 of 1.6 for our resting deco stops. These are a personal preference (and GUE standards) for these types of dives. For your concerns, these options in your computer are there to help you customize your preferences for the type of diving you want to do.

Does this help answer your question?

To fully understand the impact of what I'm attempting to describe, you should really look at taking a Nitrox course or doing some serious reading from those that truly understand this sort of thing. You'll find that what might work for one person, may not work for another. And what might work for you one day, may not work for you the next. This has to do with our limited understanding of how high doses of Oxygen impact us, and from the research done in this field. Like I said, it's not a topic best learned on the internet, and there are many levels of detail to understand IMO.

~ Jason

thanks for the info....i have registerd for the class....but in the mean time i though i might try to get a batter understanding of the functions...thanks for the info... you helped me a lot more

You should have fun with the class, and I'm glad I was able to help out in some way. There are reems and reems of written material on this topic, and for recreational dives the Nitrox class will give you the basics. You should be able to get a better understanding of what standard settings you'll want to stick to, and later on, after you have a better understanding of the topic, you'll be able to play with the settings (at your own risk :) ).

~ Jason

There is a lot of good information Here
A lot of it is about trimix, but they give you the info about PP and O2 toxicity.
Browse around the site. there is a lot there!!

darkpup:
You should be able to get a better understanding of what standard settings you'll want to stick to, and later on, after you have a better understanding of the topic, you'll be able to play with the settings (at your own risk :) ).

~ Jason
i have only been certified about a month and a half and have 21 dives under my belt.... i want to go as far as master Diver.... so learning this computer is critical....to my accomplishments.thanks again

darkpup:
A If on land you're breathing 21% oxygen, then at 33' you're breathing 42% oxygen.
Minor thing, but at 33' you are still breathing the same percentage of O2 as you are on the surface. But you are breathing twice as much O2 - twice the volume - at 2 ATAs. The amount of O2 per breath increases as you descend, but the percentage of each gas per breath stays the same.

darkpup:
A Nitrox course would answer all of these questions with a bit more detail, but I'll give it a try.

As you know from your OW class, every 33' or 10m doubles the pressure on your body. Thus at 33' you're breathing twice as much Oxygen. If on land you're breathing 21% oxygen, then at 33' you're breathing 42% oxygen. Make sense?

This not accurate. Each additional 33 ft of seawater increased the total pressure by one atmosphere. It "doubles" only when going from the surface to 33 ft. Pressure at the surface is 1 Atmosphere, pressure at 33 ft is 2 ATA.

When you descend to 66' you now have (33 ft x 2) + 1 = 3 ATA, 99' (33 x 3) +1 = 4 etc.

The percentage of O2 does not change! The Partial Pressure changes. For air (assuming 21% O2, or .21 ) breathing it at 33 ft you have PPO2 of 2 atmospheres x .21 = .42 At 66 ft it would be 3ATA x .21 or .63 PPO2

Higher partial pressures of both O2 and N2 affect the human body.

Enough for now on the internet. Find a Nitrox class.

Tobin

thanks... i have a nitrox class on april the 24.... so i think i will be fine... i wasn't sure....sure how in depth they go into dive comps

cool_hardware52:
This not accurate. Each additional 33 ft of seawater increased the total pressure by one atmosphere. It "doubles" only when going from the surface to 33 ft. Pressure at the surface is 1 Atmosphere, pressure at 33 ft is 2 ATA.

When you descend to 66' you now have (33 ft x 2) + 1 = 3 ATA, 99' (33 x 3) +1 = 4 etc.

The percentage of O2 does not change! The Partial Pressure changes. For air (assuming 21% O2, or .21 ) breathing it at 33 ft you have PPO2 of 2 atmospheres x .21 = .42 At 66 ft it would be 3ATA x .21 or .63 PPO2

Higher partial pressures of both O2 and N2 affect the human body.

Enough for now on the internet. Find a Nitrox class.

Tobin

Fair enough. That's what I was trying to say, and even though my choice of words was incorrect (percentage vs. partial pressure), it made the point I was trying to get across.

~ Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom