Ditch Octo for Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm wondering what everyones opinion is on ditching your octo in place of spare air rather than just having both?

~mdw

PS: thanx for helping to solve an argument.

Have both if the main reg goes for some minor reason you can switch to the octo and decide if you want to continue your dive. The spare air (not to be cnfused with a pony bottle) is usally a small canister that does not give yu much air, maybe a few breaths. If you have to switch to that the dive is over. I would go with both but a better option would to go with the octo and a pony depending on your dive.

mdw:
I'm wondering what everyones opinion is on ditching your octo in place of spare air rather than just having both?

~mdw

Use the search function and do a search for the words "spare air" and you will find countless posts on how ineffective this small system is. This will save you a lot of grief in the posts/replies that are most likely to follow.

Yeah, spare air is a great bailout system if you're a jetboat or helicopter pilot, but there are better options if you're a diver. At depth, there just aren't many breaths in one.

Don't want to start a "spair air" issue as it has been overdone and then some. The 'spare air is your own choice. Personally, I sling a 40 depending on what I am doing.

But think about it. Not necessarily from your standpoint, but that of your potential buddy's. You are at depth, your buddy has a problem w/ regs, etc and heads for your octo and 'it's not there'. You pass off your 'spare air', buddy is panicked so is sucking air like mad and drains the bottle. Now what do you do - other than buddy breath off of the same reg. This, in and of itself could cause problems depending on the comfort level of the person you are diving with.

IMHO - Keep the Octo, and, if you feel the need, buy the 'spare air' for your own use. Your call.

Some thread titles just make your heart sink. This is one of them. May it die a quick and painless death.

Joe

mdw:

~mdw

OMG!
nice knowing you
j/k
dont do it

Back
Top Bottom