I know backplate is best, but.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone seen and or tried the Dacor Rig Pro??

It is cheap at LeisurePro($375.00).

Is there access to the backplate without moving the wing?

How much does the plate weigh?? I'm interested in minimizing weight belt weight.

Are there any pockets for trim weights?

What size doubles will it hold?

Thanks
Mike

with 12 (count 'em, twelve!) "D" rings, that BC positively screams "wannabe."
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
with 12 (count 'em, twelve!) "D" rings, that BC positively screams "wannabe."
Rick
LOL! I wonder if all them D-Rings would allow you to take a little weight off the belt.:rolleyes:

hang a weight from each one... put less on the belt:wink:

I was leaning toward a zeagle ranger... then my wife got a zeagle conceptII. After rinsing that thing, and watching the water run off of it for a good 2-3 minutes, I realized how ridiculous those bc's are. Any xtra, unnecessary material/padding/etc. holds water, adds buoyancy, and makes everything less streamlined.

I hang my bp/wing up after rinsing... water runs off for about 8 seconds... I hang up the zeagle and water runs off of it for at least 2 minutes.

My wife loved her zeagle (notice the past tense). Now she wants to get a bp/wing after seeing mine.

seriously... all those xtra d-rings are an entanglement hazard. Yes, even if you're not doing any type of 'tech' diving.... fishing line, etc could hang you up.

...give the guy a break... you BP/wing snobs!

There are very good reasons for having all those d-rings.

First off, You need to have someplace to hang all your accessories and the properly equipped sport diver has lots of accessories.

Secondly, everyone knows that redundancy is a good thing... so you need two of the most important accessories... and these need a hangin' place too.

Thirdly, there is the issue of redundancy of d-rings themselves.

Forth on the list is rule six.

Fifth has to do with good buddy skills... say... your buddy needs you to carry some of his accessories... what are you going to do if you don't have an empty d-ring?

Sixth, as has already been mentioned... all these d-rings allow you to take a substantial load off of your weightbelt thus improving balance and vertical trim.

Seventh, last but not least, you need to have at least one free d-ring in case you find a lost anchor that you want to recover using your BC as a lift bag.

:rolleyes:

Based on this thread and one on trim weights I'm getting this image of folks wearing little clip-on trim weights all over this thing! I guess if you painted them in bright colors they might find work as Christmas trees!

Tom

Why does the backplate on that contraption have slots for a real webbing harness? My guess is so you have a redundant harness!

Mike.... while the price looks good... if you plan on diving doubles at any point in the future you wouldn't want to have the plastic QR buckles and you wouldn't need the weight pockets.

Not to be a BP/wing snob but I really think that is your best bet. The are several lower cost options than the Halcyon set up... though that is what I personally recommend.

When you look at the overall picture of what equipment costs... especially when you start talking doubles which implies tech diving... the little extra you spend to get an optimal rig is vanishingly small.

Of course if you are willing to forego doubles and tech diving and don't care to get into a backplate at all then there are some very cheap BCs that will let you have fun rec diving. Somehow though... I don't think that is where you are headed... I think that is where you have been.

buff once bubbled...
It is cheap at LeisurePro($375.00)....

I think you can get a backplate and wings for about the same or less. Even if you buy a nice Halcyon wing at full retail (~$270?) you can still pick up a backplate and harness for ~$70 and spend the rest on tank cam bands.

Chris

Ouch!!

I feel violated!

I knew the responses wouldn't be "positive" but they are biting.

I do like the quick release buckles. I have a lot of arthritis in my shoulders and don't have good mobility in them. Just trying to get out of my regular BC is at times painful and difficult.

I know OMS makes a harness setup with QR. I don't believe all that stuff about QR breaking in cold weather....etc. etc. However, I don't like the idea of a QR pressing down on my chest.

I'll give the regular webbing a try-why not it's cheap?-and if that doesn't work then I'll go to the more expensive options.

Thanks for the replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom