Benefit of Wrist Mount Casing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I've taken my VT Pro out of the wrist mount and am going to replace the strap with bungies. I hate how it loosens up at depth wearing a drysuit or I have to practically cut off the ciruclation to my hand to get it tight enough on my wrist at the beginning of the dive so it will stay put at depth. Plus it will be nice to have the redundancy should one of the pins pop out.

The unit is significantly more compact when out of the wrist mount and seems to feel comfortable on my bare wrist (for warm water diving). So I got to thinking, what is the purpose for the casing on the wrist mount anyway especially when there is already a plastic screen protector mounted on the face? To prevent the outside edges from getting scratched up? Big deal. It seems like all it really does is add bulk. You could easily wear it with the stock strap without the casing. I just can't believe the only real benefit to the casing is just prevent non-essential part of the computer from getting scratched? The case is such hard plastic it really wouldn't add much shock dampening either? So what's the thinking behind this?

Not all wrist mounts have a casing..the Nitek Duo for example. For others such as some of the Oceanics the straps are part of the casing and that is the reason.

gcbryan:
Not all wrist mounts have a casing..the Nitek Duo for example. For others such as some of the Oceanics the straps are part of the casing and that is the reason.

On the VT-Pro, the strap is not part of the casing. So it still baffles me what good purpose there was for putting it in a big bulky wrist mount casing like that.

I just came up with an idea. I noticed the round bungie thingies my wife uses in her hair don't have a knot so it would be a lot cleaner solution than tying bungie cord in a knot. I really tugged on it hard and can't get the seam where the two ends join to break. Even if it did the chances of both loops breaking at the same time are very low and I could have a couple spares in my save-a-dive kit. The ones she uses are just a tad to small for my wrist but I will see if I can find slightly larger ones. We'll see how they work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom