Whalesharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psinyc

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a whaleshark? How big was it, and where did you see it?

Also, where is the most "common" place to see these guys? Someone told me you could spot them on the back wall of Molokini in Maui. We'll be there the first week in Sept., but I have a feeling the h20 temp may be too warm then?:yellow:

from what I understand.

I am going to Baja first week in October to do some diving in the Sea of Cortez. I am told that there should be whalesharks, hammerheads, giany Humboldt squid, along with other whale pods. Got my fingers crossed to hopefully see something along that line.

before the Sri Lankans started killing them commercially I have seen 5 on one dive in Thailand. The largest I have ever seen was at Hin daeng down south of Phuket. It was approx 35-40ft long. I have also seen babies (12ft) and adults (20-30ft) at Hin Daeng, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and of course Richelieu Rock.

I have also seen a small one (15-18ft) at Cocos Island and a medium sized one (25ft) in the Galapagos

They are becoming increasingly rare in the Indian Ocean because of them lot in the Indian Sub Continent killing them for commercial meat.

Jim

great picture ... so it sems like the chance of a spotting in Maui is slim-to-none?

Supposedly the follow the coral spawning, when does that happen where you are going? I think its an annual event.

They do follow coral spawning, but there are other factors, I believe. In the Indian Ocean they are most famous for their feeding on the coral spawn on Ningaloo reef on the W coast of Oz, and for their appearance in Thailand. I think they do some sort of circular tour of the Indian Ocean and head from Oz to Thailand and then go into Burma to give birth or bonk and then head on round to Sri Lanka & India where most of them are now killed, and the lucky few then head on to the E coast of Acfrcia and then the Seychelles and back round.....

If the Sri Wankans etc carry on killing the whale sharks at the rate they are (I believe they killed something like 700 last year) then they will be almost extinct in the Indian Ocean in a matter of years....

Wherever you see them, make the most of them. They are an awesome sight and on most diver's tick lists!

Regards
Jim

Scuba Jim once bubbled...

If the Sri Wankans etc carry on killing the whale sharks at the rate they are (I believe they killed something like 700 last year) then they will be almost extinct in the Indian Ocean in a matter of years....

Guess this is where wankers come from huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom