Are spg's all the same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fullbore

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

is there any descernable difference in quality between spg's? or are things like compact size, illumination etc the only differences?
I'm looking at getting a wrist mount computer (probably Archimedes) and a seperate spg, or should I buy a console and remove the computer to wear on my wrist (works out cheaper than buying seperate units)
Any suggestions appreciated

fullbore:
Hi,

is there any descernable difference in quality between spg's? or are things like compact size, illumination etc the only differences?
I'm looking at getting a wrist mount computer (probably Archimedes) and a seperate spg, or should I buy a console and remove the computer to wear on my wrist (works out cheaper than buying seperate units)
Any suggestions appreciated

There are a couple of principal differences, some subtle preferences, and after that its all marketing. Remember - SPG needs a hose...so wrist mounting one from a console is out. You could get an AI computer (I love my Vytec) but that's a different conversation.

Principal differences: Brass or Plastic?

Brass & Glass (B & G) - more expensive, rugged, heavy and sort of bullet proof. They're not shock proof (drop it...crack. Set your tank on it...crack) but they are very shock proof (bounce off a rock, ok.) They are heavy and easier to manage UW. For a guy like me (koolaid drinker, shore diver) who has and SPG on a hose, clipped onto a hip Dring, I appreciate the heavier B & G.

Plastic (aka: Springy) - light weight, cheaper, prone to scratching and add a lovely "boiiiingggg" to your rig. Some people like them. Not me.

Subtle Preferances - what's important to you?

BAR or PSI... or Both? - you can get SPGs with any or all. I use PSI. I have buddies that dive with Euros so they have both.

Size Matters - 2" or 2.5" are the most popular. I dived 2" until my beloved SPG died. Now I dive 2.5 because I had one laying around. Its kinda cool having a bigger gauge to look at.

Scale - some show PSI every 250 pounds, some every 100 pounds, some even less. Some have a red zone - green zone thing going on, etc. I prefer the precision of 100# increments.

Hose Length - where you gonna clip it? Me on hip Dring, some on chest Dring. How long the hose length depends on where you're gonna put it.

Brand - who cares... honestly. A good B & G are made by lots of people - OMS, Halcyon, Soggy (!) and others. Be sure to check out Tech Diving Limited they usually have among the best prices on B & G SPG's (even better than LP).

SO - think about where you're gonna put it. Are you going to be rough on it (shore diving, rocky entries, etc.), do you need a bigger gauge face (or do you have young eyes) and will it be PSI or BAR?

Then go shopping!

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Brand - who cares... honestly. A good B & G are made by lots of people - OMS, Halcyon, Soggy (!) and others.

---
Ken

Ken nailed it. You should see the Soggy manufacturing plant in Salem. Over 300,000 sq. ft. They give out free pony reg gauges and even have wine tasting during the tours! :D

Thanks heaps Ken,
I'll maybe go a shorter hose as I'd prefer to hang it off a chest d-ring so it's easier to get to (I assume chest mount would mean shorter hose?).
During the course we hung huge consoles off the bottom of the bc and it was awkward twisting to check all the time.
In Oz the reference is always to Bar (at least thats what they teach you in the courses)
As you can tell, I'm a newbie, but I'd rather get something now that will last / suit me into the future so maybe a brass one sounds more robust and just buy the wrist mount comp instead of pulling apart a console.
These forums are awesome for newbies like me looking for advice :D

cheers

Couple of years ago, there was a test performed by a big German diving magazine concerning the accuracy of SPG's.
Uwatec and Mares SPG's came out as especially robust and accurate.

I have a preference for the Zeagle Solo SPG due to it's instant ease of reading. It also illuminates quite nicely in the dark. It's clipped on the left hip D-ring for backup with a Vytec wireless wrist mount computer as the primary.

What about Suunto? Their SPGs pretty user friendly too and if you wish to get a good compass like the sk7.. then u might want the Suunto as you can attach them together on the console mount. Its pretty useful, but then u might need a longer hose.

Forget the PSI and get the BAR. It is the 21st century after all. Its so much easier to make calculations. Tank size in litres X Bar = remaining air in litres.
If your budget allows get an air intergrated computer. As for wrist mounting your computer, the reason I choose not to do this is it can get all scratched up it you are after crays and go putting your hands in holes. Of course this may not be a problem if you dive in areas that dont allow cray hunting on scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom