What DC would you buy with $1,000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-Town Diver

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I've been given $1,000 to purchase any dive computer I want? What does everyone recommend. I'm kinda leaning toward the Oceanic Atom 1.0 but I want to hear if someone would recommend something different and why.

I've experienced a failure underwater with my first Atom (r2C) and on my second and third ones (r2C and r2F), the battery did/does not last very long.

See also:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=137307

I would normally recommend the UWATEC Aladin Tec with DSS boot but mine have just died!

O-Town Diver:
OK, I've been given $1,000 to purchase any dive computer I want? What does everyone recommend. I'm kinda leaning toward the Oceanic Atom 1.0 but I want to hear if someone would recommend something different and why.

Nitrox? Tech? Multi-dive days / weeks? Are you aggressive, deep, conservative, guppy? What?

If it was me, and my type of diving, I'd go straight to eBay, buy a Vytec, go straight to Tobin at DSS, buy a boot for the Vytec. I'd then take the remaining $500 to eBay and get a good 10w Canister light.

But hey, that's just me.

---
Ken

answer MO2VATION questions and then remember... if your dive computer goes kaput in the middle of a vacation you're skunked... unless you have a backUp...

personally; for my warm water diving in Florida, my primary is the SUUNTO COBRA - nice conservative noBrainer computer. <$500 on ebay. my back up is the DIVE RITE PLUS. <$400

Vie,
Yes, I've read about the leaks on the early models and I've heard some complain about the battery life but, lately I've heard a lot of good things around here about the Atom. What do you suggest instead?

Mo2vation,
I'm getting Nitrox certified at the end of the month. I do/will be doing multi-dive days and liveaboards. I would say that I'm a "liberable", recreational diver and like that about the Atom (with the ability to add conservatism). I can't do the ebay thing, I have to purchase through a LDS. What do you like about the Vytec over the Atom?

meekal,
Yes, right now I am using my brother's Sherwood Logic and this would be my back-up until he decides to take up diving again. I am not concerend about spending less than $1,000. I don't get to spend the money on anything other than 1 DC purchase. So I'm looking for the best DC for around $1,000.

I recommended Sunto Mosquito reliable conservative Nitrox ready, easy to replace battery just use a small coin.

cool on the backUp..... if ya gotta blow the wad all once - go for the SUUNTO D9 -

Suunto "D9" Hoseless Air/Nitrox Computer, Wrist Unit Only (no Transmitter)
Price: $969.95 - make your LDS 'meet or beat'

get the $374 transmitter for christmas.....

curious, is this a real or hypothetical question?

If it's real, however did you get in this situation? (Maybe you should get 2 in case your brother wants his back, and call it a single computer "system." :wink: )

And if it's hypothetical, what are you trying to learn from this? Since it's not the case that most expensive is always going to meet your needs best.

O-Town Diver:
Vie,
Yes, I've read about the leaks on the early models and I've heard some complain about the battery life but, lately I've heard a lot of good things around here about the Atom.

Don't get me wrong - the Atom is very easy to use and I was quite fond of mine. Otoh, it does have a bunch of problems and has way too many functions (for me at least).

O-Town Diver:
What do you suggest instead?

It really depends on the kind of diving you do and what you expect from your computer. I like big screen, low profile wrist mount, detailed data logging and a good gauge mode (with timing/stop watch function in seconds increments) so I would normally recommmend a UWATEC Aladin Tec or a Suunto Vytec or Vytec DS (both can be installed in DSS boots). If you prefer a smaller computer, the Suunto D6. One mix nitrox up to 50% is enough for me and as I use my computer in gauge mode more and more, having a multi-gas computer is pointless for me.

I've been using an Aladin Tec since February and was extremely happy with it. Unfortunately, it has just died.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126140

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom