Which package of gear should I buy???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmblack58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wanted to get some opinions on the following packages that three LDS have put together for me. There is only $4 difference between the cheapest and the most expensive package. So which would you buy and why? Which would you NOT buy and why?

Option 1
Apeks ATX50, AT20 Octo with DST and OMS SPG
OMS SS BP with 32lbs wing and the Deluxe Harness (not the Comfort)
Apeks Quantum computer

Option 2
Mares MR22 Abyss, Proton Octo and OMS SPG
OMS SS BP with 32lbs wing and the Deluxe Harness (not the Comfort)
Mares MC1 RGBM computer

Option 3
Dive Rite RG-2500ICE with Octo and Brass SPG
Dive Rite SS BP with Venture Wing and Deluxe Harness
Dive Rite Nitek Duo computer

I'm a fairly new diver with about 35 dives. My diving will be in the Great Lakes and down in the Caribbean when my finances allow it. I want to get the best package I can that will let me go the farthest without having to rebuy stuff as I move into more technical diving

I have Apeks regs on my backgas and Dive-Rite regs on my deco bottles. Both breath great. I can get parts for my Dive-rite regs with Dive-Rite's blessing. If DR made a non-swivel reg like the Apeks DS4, I'd prefer DR's on my backgas. As it stands now, I use DS4's on my back and DR's on my deco/stage bottles.

I have the DiveRite 2500ICE and love it so that package gets my vote. A tech diver buddy let me borrow his for a dive to 135' in 30 something degree water and I had to have one of my own :D
Ber :lilbunny:

The Dive Rite can be serviced every other year (vyton o-rings) instead of annually too, check the owners manual for details.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'd have to vote for the Dive Rite package mostly because I am familar with their product/backing/service-ability and dive their gear ......I would tend to avoid anything Mares/Dacor, and I don't come across too many Apeks, but you have to consider that they are an Aqua Lung brand, and should have the backing of AL.

I own the OMS 32# wing, and I have been quite pleased with it. FWIW, I've seen backplates with a better finish than OMS (Deep Outdoors, DSS).

I'd also pick Apeks or DiveRite over Mares any day.

i just did the same thing and bought my first set up.. truthfully i would recomend to bp/w setup because of its versitility... i bout the oxycheq 30 wing and DiveRite BP and Hog Harness... find it really comfortable and really streamlined... you can buy whatever computer you want to later. there are lots of good ones.... but my pb/w was only 428 even after shipping :) if you want to know where i got it all just pm me and ill help you find some cheep prices

If it were me, I'd go with:
1) Dive Rite
2) Apeks
3) Mares

If I was going to mix and match, I'd get the Apeks reg with the Dive Rite computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom