How much ditchable weight do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6 to 10 pounds in open water; zero in caves.
Rick

21lbs with a new 2 peice 5mm wetsuit in temperate waters.
probably could lose 3 pounds though, but comfortable for divemastering. also not diving BP but regular BCD.

James

So its ok to have 6-12 lbs. of ditchable weight using a wetsuit and steel tank, BP/harness/Wing...?

Just curious... I am in a class where the instructor insist that I need like 18-23 lbs..

I would much rather keep it 12 lbs. or less.

Thanks for the input.... just like to hear what everyone else is using.

So its ok to have 6-12 lbs. of ditchable weight using a wetsuit and steel tank, BP/harness/Wing...?

On most dives my only ditchable weight is my canister light. When I don't take the canister light and I dive an AL80, I wear enough to offset the positive swing of the tank. With steel tanks and my ss bp/wing I don't need the canister light or any other weight, so I don't wear a weightbelt.

cybordolphin once bubbled...

Just curious... I am in a class where the instructor insist that I need like 18-23 lbs..

I would much rather keep it 12 lbs. or less.

Thanks for the input.... just like to hear what everyone else is using.

In my 3mm/AL80 I dive with 2lbs dichable. With my 7mm/AL80 I dive with 12 lbs dichable.

This is not my total weight. I have 6lbs on my tank strap to simulate my future backplate and give my ok trim. You may need 18-23lbs total weight, not all of it needs to go on your belt.

If you can swim it up, your golden.

a) 7 mil full suit with 2.5 hooded vest or 7 mil hood: 24 lb (16lb ditchable)

b) 3 mil full suit with 2.5 mil hooded vest: 18lb (12lb ditchable)

c) .5 mil full suit: 12lb (6lb ditchable)

The ditchable weight is divided between two integrated pockets (SeaQuest Balance) so I can ditch half the total ditchable weight.

In all cases, I am overweighted 3-4 lbs. When spearfishing, I want to be able to lay on the bottom (under a ledge or hull of a wreck) and not rise (at all) when I inhale.

8 lb on my belt & 2 lb on my 13ft3 pony strap for balance. This leaves me a couple lbs overweight but there isn't much sense in carrying a pony if I don't have enough weight to do the rest stop with 0 psi in the main tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom