Free diving training.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my1ocean

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've been looking for a straitforward website for freediving training. I guess you could call me a novice since I've had no formal training, though my PB is 40 meters. I'd like to get a little more serious about depth and method. Any suggestions?

Most definitely check out those two resources. Amphibious and I are fairly active there. All the info you need to move yourself forward can be found there. And the PFD courses are great. I have taken them and the physiology training alone is worth the money.
There are lots of ways of improving your performance but it starts with an honest assessment and some good questions.
I will suggest that if you are looking at going beyond 40meters that you review your gear kit carefully with those of us who dive that deep (and deeper), for starters. Then you might want to familiarize yourself with gas exchange/imbalances and physiology of freediving at depth. There are a couple of danger points and some breath-up modifications that are worth knowing about.
Anyway, good luck, be careful,
Lungfish

Thanks, I'll check those sites.

I'm pretty familiar with gas exchanges at depth for freedivers, but will wholeheartedly admit I must learn alot more before pushing further. I may be showing just how green I am here, but what else should I be looking for in a gear kit other than mask, fins, wetsuit... the obvious stuff? As far as safety, any deep diving I do is with another person to watch or around divers. I imagine I will glean this stuff from the websites suggested.

Just got a powerlung to go along with my workout routine and am excited to see what it may do for me.

Thanks again!

Ok, we can explore this...

As you dive past 40 meters, your lung function ceases. They compress to the size of oranges and your chest cavity compresses. Your ability to equalize your mask becomes inhibited and, eventuall, impossible.

As you fall through the pressure gradients, your heartrate and blood pressure are falling off and, eventually, the only thing keeping your gas metabolism working is the outside water pressure.

The first real danger point arrives at the turn-around. If you invert too quickly, you risk a sudden black-out with no warning. Personally, I flare out, tuck my legs into my chest, and then invert. However you do it, do it gently and take a moment to let your head get above your feet.

The second danger point is at about 60ft on the return. The "Vacuum Effect" causes gases to return to your lungs from All organs including your brain. So, one should be especially alert at this point, watching the safety divers, etc...

About gear, lowest volume mask is appropriate because you need air to equalize it and the deeper you go, the more air is required. However, even this is problem when your gases are imbedded in your tissues and you have to try and burp up enough air to push it off your face. Eventually, waterfilled goggles and a nose clip become a viable alternative...

If you are diving below 100ft, with the exception of the Gara fins, I wouldn't risk my safety on a plastic fin. I did 130ft with a pair of Omer Milleniums once and almost didn't make it back. Way to flexible at depth for my kick. If you are doing really deep swims, you probably want a carbon fiber blade....

We can talk about breathing up for longer and deeper dives as well, there are some techniques that can make it all more comfortable.

Hope this helps, happy to chat more...

Lungfish

My gear for up to 160ft...

Technisub Sphera Mask - lowest volume commercial mask 76ml

3mm Wetsuit (hawaii)

Carbon Fins (I have Specialfins, they are great!!)

Finkeepers (Neoprene collapses at depth and you need your fins to stay on!!!)

Weights - neutral at 10meters...

Nope, didn't know about the inversion blackout risk at the bottom. I always flair too, just seems natural. I was aware about the return danger. It was explained to me before that any gas will travel from a higher concentration to a lower one and that on the return to the surface, one could have a higher concetration of O2 in the bloodstream than in the lungs. Thus, pulling O2 from you bloodsteam as you surface. Is this the same thing you were saying?

I've been using the super ochio and gara 3000's. I like them pretty well but have been considering looking for some carbon fiber fins. I dunno if I'm just getting so used to the 3000's or they are getting less stiff. I've had them for a while.

I've heard alot of good things about the technisub shera and I think I'm going to give it a shot. I tried the cressi minima and didn't like it at all. When you use a nose clip and fill your goggles, what do you fill them with? Just seawater?

If you have the time and patients, I would love some tips on breathing up. I have heard of, but haven't tried packing. I ussually just take about a minute to breath slowly and deeply with caution not to breath quickly.

It's warming up here in the keys to the point where I don't think I'll need wetsuit or weights.

Hello,

Regarding the Vacuum Effect, it is more related to pressure rather than gas imbalances.

from my manual:
Gas levels, mainly oxygen and carbon dioxide are continously balancing themselves in the body, between the lungs and body tissues. The body draws 02 fro the lungs, as it requires. The 02 concentration (partial pressure) in the lungs of a descending diver increases due to the increasing hydrostatic pressure. As the brain and tissues use 02, more 02 is available from the lungs while he is still descending. This all works well as long as there is 02 in the lungs and the diver remains at his descended level. The problem is in the ascent. The re-expanding lungs of the ascending diver increase in volume as the hydrostatic pressure decreases, resulting in a rapid decrease of 02 concentration (partial pressure) in the lungs to critical levels. The balance or gradient that forced 02 into the body is now reversed. Thus, the vacuum effect is really a net flow of 02 from the body back to the lungs. It is most pronounced in the last 33ft below the surface, where the greatest relative lung expansion occurs due to the greatest relative change in pressure. This is the danger zone where unconsciousness frequently happens. The blackout is instantaneous and without warning. It is the result of critically low level of 02 which, in effect, switches off the brain.

About the Garas, they do get more flexible with age but you also get stronger... They are a good fin and the Super Ochio is a good mask.

The Sphera mask is not the best made mask on the market. It has plastic lenses that scratch easily and you need to treat it carefully. However, it has great view and is very low volume. I use it for performance dives that are deep and long duration and I use my Omer Alien for everything else.

The fluid filled goggles are usually filled with contact lens fluid but you can use salt water, its almost the same material as tears.... They work very well, you can see amazingly well. Eric Fattah has a line of fluid filled goggles and nose clips...

A wetsuit and weights - 3mm and about 6lbs. Why? its your safety net. If you find yourself deep and needing to bail out of the dive you can throw away your $45 belt and gain some bouyancy from the suit. If you are way, way deep you are already negatively bouyant and will need everything working for you. The wetsuit, and the other gear I described are all part of your safety kit. You wouldn't go to the moon without all your gear and your space suit..... At 100ft plus deep you might as well be on the Moon. It is a very specialized place and you are just visiting - it is hostile and can kill you if you stay to long or aren't correctly prepared.....

Breathing up - Basic Breathup
deep full inhale about 3secs
Pause while holding 2secs
Long, slow release for 15 secs

Why? Heart rate increases on inhale, decreases on exhale. So concentration on slowing heartrate (bradycardia) while being inactive and breathing fully will saturate blood and tissues with 02.

So, after doing the above cycle for 2-2.5 times the duration of the previous dive you peak inhale and dive.

Why 2-2.5 times? You need to "normalize" gas imbalances including Nitrogen (!) as you do your 02 saturation.

Packing is something you build up to. You can stress your intercostal muscles if you don't go slowly and get used to it. Through packing you are trying to hold up to 2liters of pressurized "extra" air in your lungs. You start by sitting down and doing a peak inhale, then gulp 2-3 extra bits of air - hold and stretch your ribcage (arms over head) gently for a few moments, and release. Build up over a couple of days to ten packs.....

Of course, now you feel like a balloon on the surface after a full breath up and packed lungs so you need to get down to 1ATA to start compressing all that air and make it manageable....

Along with all this technical stuff comes the practice of 02/C02 tolerance tables to increase your durations.

The single most important aspect to freediving that you can internalize is the Mammalian Diving Reflex. If you understand how one initiates that altered state of physical and mental being, the very specific process of getting into that state of reduced heart rate and heightened mental awareness, one can apply it at will and get very, very comfortable with long deep swims.

The diver who is enhanced through Tolerance training and technical awareness when the "Reflex" is initiated will have incredible performance....

Lungfish

From a safety standpoint, please (!) don't get caught up in extreme depth attainment. Once you start attempting these depths lung squeeze becomes a real concern and I am assuming you do not have 8 liter lungs so your depths of concern will be shallower.
Another word of caution is in packing. There are no studies out to determine whether packing has long term detrimental effects on lung tissue. Also, packing carries with it the increased risk of dizziness and LMC. If you decide to engage in this practice remember to dive/train with a competent partner. As always, dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom