New Chicken Switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
New Chicken Switch

Just arrived my new McMurdo Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus 406MHz PLB (Personal Locating Beacon) and Dive Canister
This PLB transmits in 406MHz band (COSPAS-SARSAT), 121.5MHz band (homing signal) and a GPS location accurate to 100yd range.
It came with a lifetime battery replacement offer from the manufacturer and the battery can be replaced by the user every 5 yrs.

The 406MHz band is better than the old 121.5MHz homing band ‘cause the satellite receivers for the 121.5MHz band are going to be shut down in Feb 1/2009 and only aircrafts and watercrafts equipped with 121.5MHz receivers are going to be able to pick and monitor this band (Search And Rescue or SAR agencies). Also in 2003, it was legislated that in the US, the 406MHz band can be used in land, making this device more versatile for land expeditions to remote areas.

Since this PLB is water proof to a depth of 15ft, I could have chosen to leave the PLB at the surface with the surface float, but I decided that such an expensive piece of safety gear should be with me at all times during the dive, minimizing the chance of it getting lost if the float line gets severed for any reason (when Murphy hits you, hits you multiple times). So I also got the 150m depth rated Dive Canister specifically designed for this PLB.
I got to admit that it hurt me a lot, like a kick in the groin, to buy the Dive Canister, in my opinion, it’s a rip-off to pay $250.00 for a piece of anodized machined aluminum with 2 o-rings, but better safe than sorry.

The biggest problem now is how I’m going to attach the canister to the BP, one possible location is clipped inside the now empty left DR 32# Trans Weight Pocket or snap bolt it to the left side of the BP, any suggestions would be appreciated.

This device isn’t for every diver, but for Open Ocean divers where there’s no land reference nearby, it could prove life saving in the event that you surface and find no boat near you for whatever reason (remember the silly movie open water).
This device, isn’t intended to replace common sense, good planning, experience, safety procedures and gear like SSD (safety sausage), mirror, Dive Alert, dye, flares, strobes, ect.
It’s intended to supplement all the above and should only be activated in a life threatening situation, and as a last resort option when all attempts of a normal rescue have been done.
Intentional false alarms and hoax calls carry a hefty $250,000.00 fine, some jail time and restitution of all costs incurred by the responding agencies.
Accidental activations have an established protocol that should be done in order to save valuable resources that may be needed in a real emergency and avoid the fines.

This is one of those expensive gadgets that you wish to never need to use, but will be glad you have it if the ***** hits the fan.

http://www.painswessex.com/?Menu=17&Page=/Contents/ListProducts.asp&ID=1026

http://www.painswessex.com/?Menu=17&Page=/Contents/ListProducts.asp&ID=1094

Though I've seen these advertised, I think you're the first person on here that has bought one.

Give us a report on how it "handles" while you a dive. Also tell us whether it's greatly postive or negatively bouyant on you during the dive.

mike

Well Mike, the Canister is solid aluminum and outside the water weights close to 2# and the PLB is listed as 300g so I think that the actual bouyancy would be close to 2# negative.

I'll try it in the water this weekend in a private charter to Mona Island (Halfway between Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic), the intended target is Monito Rock 3 miles NW Mona Island.

This place is very deep, with ripping currents so all 6 divers are very experienced divers, only my buddy and me got the PLBs (buy 2 and get a $75.00 discount each at our local distributor).

I'll report when I get back on monday:14:

Mandy3206:
The biggest problem now is how I’m going to attach the canister to the BP, one possible location is clipped inside the now empty left DR 32# Trans Weight Pocket or snap bolt it to the left side of the BP, any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.omsdive.com/bc_access.html

A 267 K EDS : This (3) compartment EDS system is designed to better facilitate deployment of the 660’ depth rated canister (BCA 298), SMB or lift bags and can be butt mounted on any of the back plates or the IQ™ Pack.

You just put your unit where OMS's canister would be...

PaulChristenson:
http://www.omsdive.com/bc_access.html

A 267 K EDS : This (3) compartment EDS system is designed to better facilitate deployment of the 660’ depth rated canister (BCA 298), SMB or lift bags and can be butt mounted on any of the back plates or the IQ™ Pack.

You just put your unit where OMS's canister would be...

Humm, good idea Paul
I don't have time to get the EDS for this weekend, but I can make a custom mesh bag for the Canister similar to the DR lift bag pocket and clip it to the bottom of the BP, and secure the canister with a retractable to the bag.

Thanks

mike_s:
I wonder if the beacon would fit in the BCA-298 canister from OMS?

At $46+ bucks, it's a lot cheaper than the $250 aluminum one!
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OMSC.html

The PLB is a tad bigger than the BCA-298, I thought about building one myself, with PVC tubing an caps, installing some o-rings and everything, but desisted of the idea 'cause I didn't wanted to risk the PLB geeting flooded, so against my will, I decided to get the canister. This canister in my opinion can be sold for $100.00 or $150.00 tops, but you can find it allmost everywhere online for $299.00, we had luck and our local supplier offered it for $250.00, not a good deal, but better than online.

The PLB was $75.00 cheaper online, but when adding S/H and tax, the cost was $30.00 over the local dealer, so this time made sense to suport the local supplier and then you have someone you can make claims in case something is wrong with the PLB

OK, tried the bopttom of the BP location, and it sucks, I used that location for liftbags before, but the hard 3 5/8" x 6 3/8" cylinder made it self noticeable all the time during the dive.
I switched it to the left side of the BP and I had to look for it to know it was still there. This time I sealed it inside the custom made meshbag, and then ziptied the bag to the BP, and extra secured the canister with a retractable cliped to the BP. Plans are for a better and secure retention system, but the lack of time before the trip just allowed the bag to be made.

I was able to ditch my last 2# of ditchable weight so I believe that it's bouyancy is close to 2# negative and I felt no diference in my trim at all either.

Felt very good to know that we were prepared in case the current swept us away.

This is the place that the PLBs got broken in: "El Monito" 3NM NW Mona Island, this Rock is 1/5 of a mile diameter and no shore around it, waves pound the 300+ walls and it plumets to 85fsw on the shallowest part.

Back
Top Bottom