diving in NB - Bay of Fundy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naiya

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed a few recent posts which seem designed to "scare" visiting divers off areas of NB that are within the Bay of Fundy.

There are a number of dive sites in this area, ranging from "novice" to "experienced". Most of the local diving is from shore, and only one dive shop that has offered a charter service. This is a tidal zone, which actually is what makes the diving here so great. The variety in marine life is abolutely fantastic!

There are some sites that are for advanced divers who are comfortable diving in current. This is cold water diving, with temps ranging from low-mid 30's in winter, to mid 50's in late summer. Visibility ranges from just a few feet to around 25ft - all depends on time of year, recent weather conditions, and the tide. This type of diving obviously doesn't appeal to folks more comfortable with unlimited viz and warm water! But for those who experience it, they are usually taken aback at the beauty below.

Anyone visiting the area can get in touch with a local dive shop for advice on sites, skill level required, and current conditions. I believe at least one of these shops will provide a guide for fee. There is also a listserv for NB diving that can hook visitors up with local divers who regularly dive in the area.

Shore-based dive spots are located near Beaver Harbour, St. Andrews, and New River beach. These areas are not as plentiful with marine life, but offer a variety and can be easier to access. There are also a few dive spots on Deer Island (accessible by a free ferry, runs every 1/2hr to hour).

Advanced shore-based dive spots are near the Deer Island Campground, in an area called "the Point". Here there are opportunities for drift and wall diving, and it has incredible opportunities for macro photography. The advanced sites can be subjected to strong current, so divers should be experienced and familiar with the area (or diving with a local guide).

"Deer Island... one of the best dive sites on the east coast.." (DIVER magazine, December 2005)

http://www.scubadiving.com/travel/canada/new_brunswick:_deer_island

http://www.pbase.com/kiml/deer

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/nbdivers/

naiya:
"Deer Island... one of the best dive sites on the east coast.." (DIVER magazine, December 2005)

One of the best? It IS the best on the east coast, period!

I'll be diving across the way in Eastport, Maine this weekend.

Right on. Where are some of the areas you can dive at Eastport?? Would love to come over there and check it out..... I won't be back down that way again until April 22..

Excellent, good to hear from you! I'll be diving the Deer Island side tomorrow.

I received some New England dive site info at the Boston Sea Rover conference including Eastport, so we plan to visit this summer to check it out. I guess a good point to mention, that a ferry (for fee) runs between Deer Island and Eastport..!

adshepard:
One of the best? It IS the best on the east coast, period!

I'll be diving across the way in Eastport, Maine this weekend.

Firediver:
Right on. Where are some of the areas you can dive at Eastport?? Would love to come over there and check it out..... I won't be back down that way again until April 22..

There are a few spots to dive in Eastport. The most well known is the old steamship pier site behind the Motel East. Extremely easy site for entry and exit but as usual you need to watch the current and dive slack. The site is great for collecting old bottles and clay pipes. I found one old bitters bottle that dates to 1850 and is worth quite a bit. The old steamship pier wall is made of granite blocks and was once covered in marine life but over-collecting by the New England Aquariums really hurt the site. They have since been banned from collecting there and slowly the wall is returning to its old glory. The wall starts at the surface at low slack and falls vertically about 30 feet. It runs about 100 feet long. Below the wall there is a gentle slop covered in soft corals and basket stars. North of the site are a series of bouldered drop-offs that look similar to Deer Island sites. I'm diving this site on Saturday.

Some people dive Dog Island which is on the north side of town. You need permission form the land owners there to get in but they never turn down a courteous request. I usually don't dive that site though.

There is one other site on the south side of town and it rivals Deer Island in terms of marine life. It is off Dawson Street. You kind of need to know where to enter the water here (right between the two large rock formations is the key) as if you miss it then the site is only so-so. When you hit it, it is amazing. The walls are covered with anemones and such. A friendly wolf eel has lived nearby for quite a while and comes out of its den for hand feeding. I'm diving this site on Sunday.

naiya:
Excellent, good to hear from you! I'll be diving the Deer Island side tomorrow.

I received some New England dive site info at the Boston Sea Rover conference including Eastport, so we plan to visit this summer to check it out. I guess a good point to mention, that a ferry (for fee) runs between Deer Island and Eastport..!

Our summer home is in Lubec and we catch the Campobello to Deer island ferry for diving.

Back
Top Bottom