Setting the record straight about Princeton Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Toorish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago there was a thread inquiring about divers' experiences with the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED light.

I mentioned that I had one of these lights which broke after only a few dives and that I was having trouble getting it serviced. (Here is the original thread for reference http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=135894&highlight=Princeton+Tec)

After some helpful information, I sent my light off to Princeton Tec for repair. Considering my negative view of them, I was not terribly hopeful. I have to say I was very wrong, the light came back today, less than a week after I sent it to them. In fact, they sent me a brand new light with batteries included.

I have to say, this company is impressive and my previous view was obviously innacurate.

By the way, the light itself is great. Obviously I would not hesitate recommend them and their products.

Best wishes,

Jeff

edited

I own about 8 different princeton tec lights. All but two are different models. I've had three of them break. To me this is a high failure rate.

However, all of these lights I've bought have a lifetime warranty so I've sent them back to Princeton Tec for repair/replacement. Each time I've gotten a new light back in a reasonable amount of time.

Besides them breaking more than I think they should and having to pay a little postage to replace them, I have to say that I've been impressed with their warranty service.

glad you got things straightened out... Princeton Tec hasn't given us a problem yet, either dive lights, or topside for hiking,etc.

Princeton Tec customer service has never batted an eye at replacing a light that has broken for me.

Problem is that I've had to use their services so often.

Divedoggie:
You mean you WOULD recommend them! or not hesitate to recommend them?

Edited to reflect that I would not hesitate to recommend tham.

When you say your light "broke" did it flood or did something actually break on the item?

Jonnythan:
Princeton Tec customer service has never batted an eye at replacing a light that has broken for me.

Agreed.
I don't understand this attitude of "yeah, it breaks a lot and is unreliable, but they have great customer service".

Unless they can instantly deliver a replacement to me underwater, I'd prefer a reliable piece of equipment.

Jeff,

Congratulations and I am very glad to see you make this post, it speaks volumes about your high integrity. :D

jonnythan:

I confirm that too. I have yet to send them back - lazy. However, via e-mail they do stand behind their product. I have had roughly 4 fail including the LED versions. My feeling is the O ring seals are finicky in how to tighten them. Perhaps the design could benefit from a double O ring seal? X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom