Aerobic Conditioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok folks, I need to get in shape aerobically so I don't play hoover so much.

However, there are some particular issues involved in this. First of all I am a smoker. I know, just quit. Well, that hasn't worked yet and I've tried all the programs, pills, etc on the market. I'll keep trying, but in the mean time I need to work on getting in shape.

I have some limitations on what I can do. Bad knees which means no impact, no running, no walking, no bycicle riding, no stair stepper, etc.

So, knowing those limitations, how can I get in shape?

Swim.

The Rowing machine!
Swim!

Eliptical trainer has no impact on knees. And if im right your cycling shouldn't effect 'em either.
I had 2 reco's on my left knee and i still cycle just over 100km's a week.
Just work slowly, at a low resistance untill uor strength builds up.
Increase your work by 10% at a time and dont go whole hog nice pace so you can still sing along to your tunes.
I gave up the gaspers cold turkey. just focused on what i wanted most. extended botom time!!!
good luck.

A new exercise program has often been the thing that made the difference for my clients who quit smoking. Not only will you be thinking about how much easier it would be to breathe if you didn't smoke, but you will have something else to do when you're fighting your cravings.

Swimming is a great way to get your lungs back in working order while actually improving your water comfort at the same time. In fact, you'd probably see your SAC go down just from the added facetime in the water.

Check into local swim classes for adults, or US Masters swim teams if you are a more experienced swimmer. You will be much more likely to stick with it if you had a set schedule of workouts with other people expecting you to show up. Plus, it is one of the most technique-oriented forms of conventional exercise. Coaching makes all the difference in the world.

Cameron

Quarrior:
I have some limitations on what I can do. Bad knees which means no impact, no running, no walking, no bycicle riding, no stair stepper, etc.

No bicycle riding?

The osteoarthritis in my right knee is so bad that three different orthopedists have said that they will give me a full replacement as soon as I say the word. One said I have the knee of a 90 year old man.

They all said no running, walking, or stair steppers. One said I should move to a ranch house to avoid stairs.

They all recommended bicycle riding.

On most mornings of the week I ride a stationary bike and do some moderate weight training for nearly an hour. The bicycle riding is not at all painful, and the resulting gain in leg strength has had a tremendously beneficial effect on my knee. People used to recognize me from a distance by my limp; now I can usually walk without a limp, and I have postponed the knee replacement indefinitely.

The reason I have problem riding a bike is not because of the joint itself, rather a problem with how the knee cap tracks or in my case, doesn't.

"The osteoarthritis in my right knee is so bad that three different orthopedists have said that they will give me a full replacement as soon as I say the word. One said I have the knee of a 90 year old man."

You should not be getting your fitness information from a diving website. You need to discuss physical therapy options with your doctor and/or physical therapist. Also, look very carefully into the fitness background of anybody who gives you advice here.

If a source does not have a real post-secondary education --you particularly-- need to find your information elsewhere or bring ALL info directly to your doctor before you begin any fitness program.

I agree, see the doc about your training but if you are healthy enough to fin then you should be healthy enough to swim. As other posters suggested I would join a swimming group or get some adult lessons focused on fitness swimming. I also second the eliptical suggestion. I have bad knees as well and I personally don't feel any discomfort on these machines. The actual knee movement is minimal.

As for the smoking, I quit this year for my New Year's resolution. I had my girlfriend help me. Essentially, she agreed to eat a pickle every day that I did not smoke for 30 days. She is absolutely disgusted by pickles. She dry heaves and runs around the room screaming any time she eats one. So why would I ruin the opportunity to see that for a lousy cigarette? Needless to say it has been 9 months without a single smoke after 10 years of smoking. So do something that is fun and get some help. I can still convince her to eat a pickle every now and then when I get a "bad craving". I am a ******* :)

Back
Top Bottom