Deep Air Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tombiowami

Contributor
Reaction score
I have never had the pleasure or displeasure of being narced but have a couple questions.

From what I have read, nitrogen at depth mimics the properties of nitrous oxide.

Would any deep air students out there dive to say 30' and then switch to a tank that contains nitrous oxide?

If not, why would you go to 150' and do it?

I just had my wisdom teeth out, and the feeling from that nitrous was not pleasant, quite anxiety inducing actually, buzzing, numbness, etc.

What am I missing? I can understand, kind of, diving deep air just because you want to, but why take specific training to do it when you could just as easily take a trimix class?

Tommy

My reasons for diving air deep were always economic. now that finally got my trimix course done I will no longer dive deep air by choice.

Tom

Yeah...deep air is dumb.:rolleyes: :confused: :boom:

Probably a lot of folks that dive deep air think that they aren't narced. Just like the drunk that thinks he is fine to drive, he just doesn't know how impaired he really is. I'll probably get flamed for saying that though.

I was recently talking with a guy who had taken the course and the impression I got was that they went down to 150' to make sure they were narced and then practice certain rote skills.

The thinking was that by practiciing over and over they could eventually overcome or work within being narced.

Tommy

I dive deep air mainly for economic and logistical reasons - it's cheaper and easier to get than trimix. I do like doing it, as long as the profile's pretty easy; it's a risk/reward thing. I feel comfortable enough at depth to tolerate the risk. For you, the risks seem to break down differently - wouldn't say you're missing anything, it's just a different approach. Why not try it with someone you trust who's done it and see what it's like - a few of the wrecks off NC hit 140' (the Naeco does, I think).

For the record, I've never been on nitrous oxide, but those I know who have been seemed a lot loopier than I've ever been at 150'.

I have no idea what's involved in a deep air class. I never had specific training for it, just worked my way slowly and steadily downward until people started looking at me funny <shrug>

I personally don't feel that 150' is excessively deep even on air. I wouldn't want to do it now, since I no longer have to, but have done so many times with no appreciable discomfort. For myself I always felt that I was leaving the realm of safety at about 200'.

In recent years I've been well aware that deep air was not the way to go but it was always a lot of money that I didn't have to get mix certification. My guess is that most deep air divers feel this way.

As far as what Tommy said about being able to take trimix instead of deep air I'm not sure that's always possible unless you have enough experience for the instructor to bump you past some of the prerequisites. I guess that would depend on the agency.

Tom

Lets all flame Wendy!...just kidin

I don't dive with anyone who approves of deep air but they certainly have different definitions of what deep air is. I know divers who were going well in exess of 200 for years before anybody had mix. They don't do that anymore but they roll their eyes when you try to tell them they shouldn't do 150 after they have done accurate serveys at 300. They may have been impaired but the fact is they have done on air at 300 what most can't do at 30 so who is impaired. Your performance will not be its best but what about those who are not so good anywhere.

A really good driver may outdrive a bad driver even when under the influence. When deciding what impairment can be tolorated maybe you need to take the baseline into consideration.

Me, I use mix.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I know divers who were going well in exess of 200 for years before anybody had mix.

Good point. I think a lot of people who are so quick to talk down deep air divers were not around when there was nothing else. Trimix really hasn't been commonly available for very long, neither the training or the gas.

Me, I use mix too but the days of old are still fresh in my mind.

Tom

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom