Need opinions on BP weight choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kronos13

Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to go with BP/wing for my first BC but I'm not sure which weight BP I should use.
I will mostly be diving in the Monterey area so we're talking 6.5 farmer john, hood, gloves, booties, etc. (at least until I get dry suit certified, but that's a ways off). Single AL80. Can't afford a canister light so I won't have one of those. No caves or wrecks yet, just crusin' though the kelp and having a good ol' time.
My OW was done in a Scubapro Classic (I didn't care much for it) with the above mentioned farmer john and AL80. 34# of weight in the BC. I'm 6ft, 215#.
I have a DUI wing that I picked up on ebay (58# lift) that I'm going to start out with and get others as need arises. (ah, the beauty of the BP/W)
I was considering a FredT Heavy with the 2 piece STA. (10.9# total) with the rest on a belt. I know my weight requirements will be different going from a jacket style to a BP/W but I have no clue as to how much.

Anyone out there using a similar setup in similar conditions?
Should I go with the heavier STA? Or the 6# plate maybe?

Dave

I was diving the Channel Islands last week and used this setup.

Dive Rite SS BP w/Koplin weighted STA and a 5 lb P-weight with 6 lbs on a weight belt. I was diving wet and AL80. It was a poor decision on my part to dive wet on this trip, never again.

I would get the Fred T heavy and heavy STA and put the rest on a belt.

omar

Omar.. I live just inland of the Channel Islands. Let me know if you ever wanna hook up for a dive. I am going out on Friday.

Why do you feel diving wet was a big mistake? Were you talking comfort... or a weight issue?

I Think you may find that you are overweighted if you dive wet in a heavy 9 lb. S/S Bp, s/s STA. I was. It does depend a lot on your body structure. If you have body fat or muscle, etc..

I now have an AL BP. If you can get hold of a rig that you can try... it might save you some $$ if you can try it out first.

Thank you both but now I'm even more confused. :confused:
One suggests a heavy SS BP the other suggests a light AL BP.

omar, what was wrong with your first setup? (6# BP, weighted STA & p-weight)

cybordolphin, how much additional weight do you use, using the AL BP, and in what form?

Thanks again.
Dave

You don't want all that weight on a belt. I would do as Omar suggested... heavy plate and heavy STA.

Mike

Nothing was wrong with the BP/STA/P-weight and wetsuit. This set up is 17lbs and with 6 on the belt I was 1-2 lbs heavy.

We have a dry suits and did not bring them because of the argon bottle filling needs. 3 of 4 of them do not have VIP's (not an issue when at home) and when you can not even get nitrox on most of the dive boats on the left coast, getting argon fills appeared to be a PITA that I didn't want to deal with. It was a fun recreational family thing. I should have just put a 5th hose on the 1st and used the back gas and dry suits.

omar

Ok. Heavy plate and STA it is. Thank you omar, cybordolphin and Lost Yooper for the info.
FredT, if you're reading this, I'll be sending my order in sometime after the 1st. :)

cybordolphin, I'm still curious about your weight distribution/requirements when diving wet with an AL plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom