Diving Augusta Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am starting this thread with reports about diving in the Augusta, Georgia area. For previous reports about diving/diving condition here, please refer to my "Winter Diving in the South" thread.
A brief overview of the two most popular dive sites:
which will be followed by today's dive report:
1. Lake Thurmond (Clark Hill Lake to most long time Augustans)
Best sites are both East and West Dam along the rocks. The S.C. side (East Dam) has an airplane at 35' (follow the rock dam out at 20' to find the rope line leading to the plane). The remnants of the old diversion dam used during construction made for an interesting deeper dive (75'- 90'). A rocky ledge is in 35 -40' of water parallel to the parking lot on the SC side of the dam. This host a gnome and angel statue. Depths of up to 125' are a short swim from the plane. Vis varies depending on rain from 6' to 15'+. Water temp this weekend was 64 degrees on top and 54 degrees at 82' with vis about 10 -15'.
2. Savannah River - A nice 1 -1 1/2 hour drift dive from the 5th street marina to the old marina/boathouse downstream. Depths are 21' max. Vis can be great a times 15' -20' during periods of low rain. A lot of history on this dive with a shipwreck (bow, deck planking, boilers and other stuff) just below the first bridge support for the 5th street bridge, the remnants of the old Hamburg docks (cotton docks) that run the length of the dive 1/3 of the way out into the river from the SC side (lots of fish here around the pilings and rocks), and the old Hamburg bridge remains (about 1/2 the way down the GA side). The river is 62 degrees currently and gets to about 72 degrees in the summer.

Today's dives: Seven of us were at the Lake today for our morning dives. We divided into two groups. Group 1 had plans to do just one dive and were mostly staying shallow (plane and rocks of the dam) with the exception of a brief drop to the "missle" (airplane fuel drop tank) at 82' a short swim from the plane. Group two (my group)decided to use the first dive to explore the area below the 100' wall to see if anything else of interest was there. We dove to 116' max depth for 50 minutes. Vis was great, but nothing to report below the 100' wall but silt.
Dive two was more interesting. Four of us made this dive. We began our dive with a short surface swim south to the 15' drop-off. Descending we ran into large schools of small fish (1-2" stuff-probably new hatchlings). We dove along the 35-40' ledge. Lots, and I mean lots!!! of small fish covered the rocks. We swam past the gnome statue and descended down to the angel statue that is situated on a large rock (about 10'x8')located at 54'. Vis was great. We did not need to use lights the entire dive. From the statue we swam through the trench to the 65' ledge and turned south. We swam along the 65' ledge for about 80' and then dropped down to the 80-90' wall. The wall was nice in the reduced light with the sunlight hitting the face of the wall. The log with the dive flag on the wall @83' also had lots of small fish. From the log we began our ascent up the slope to the three big rocks at 54'. Just before reaching the three big rocks we ran into a large school of shad. Thousands of small fish that parted around us. This is one of the more interesting sights to me - thousands of fish that swim in unison. We run into them at least once a month during the warmer months. We continued to the three big rocks. They were covered with small fish and vis was at least 15', maybe more here. We then turned south again and swam to the airplane. After crusing around it a bit we began our ascent up the roks of the dam for an extended safety stop. On the swim back in to shore we ran into a large bass (12 pounds or so). Dive was 85' max depth for 1 hour, eight minutes. We observed at least three distinct thermoclines (about 27', 40' and 65'). Great day of diving.

Hi....Local diver, dove the plane several times over the past few years...nobody has ever taken me on the grand tour you speak of in that area.
Also, interested in doing a river dive.

Diver324:
Hi....Local diver, dove the plane several times over the past few years...nobody has ever taken me on the grand tour you speak of in that area.
Also, interested in doing a river dive.

We will be diving the Lake this Saturday 4/21/06 at 8:30a (deeper dive around 90-100') and b/w10:30 and 11am for the second dive (shallower dive). You are welcome to join us. You will need a 6-7mm fullsuit or two piece, hood and gloves. We will also probably be diving Sunday afternoon - not sure yet if this will be the Lake or the river. PM me if this time doesn't work for you and I'll let you know our next planned dives

:14: Have you ever had one of those dive days where everyone else said, "Oh, the weather is going to be too bad to dive" and then it turns out to be a great dive? Well, this was certainly one of those days. The Weather Channel was loaded with gloom and doom for our area. Only two showed up for the first dive and three for the second. However, we were very fortunate and had some of the best two dives of the year, particularly dive 2.
Dive 1. We began our first dive under cloudy, but quickly clearing, skies at E. Dam Clark Hill (Lake Thurmond). We did a surface swim to 15' dropoff and made our descent. The vis was 10' or so. We found the now aging dead ball of hydrilla at 25'. Lots of small fry. We descended to the 35-40' ledge. Some fish, but not lots. We swam the ledge to the gnome statue and then progessed to the angel statue at 54'. We swam through the trench and the forest. Lights were needed below 80' today. We dove the 100' wall (big catfish here) and angled up to the 80' wall. No lights needed on this wall (dim but nice). At the dive flag we began an ascent to the three big rocks at 54'. Some fish there. We then turned North and ascended upward to the pool filters and did a portion of the 35'-40' ledge again, ascending upward with the rocks to the 15' dropoff. We reversed and swam South. We finished with a safety stop looking at the bass who were bedding. Dive was 104' for 1:05.
The second dive was great. The sun came out and we had at least 15' vis. We walked from the parking lot to Hippie Cove for our entry. We swam West along the cove dropoff (50 degree slope with stumps) until we hit the North ledge drop off which took us to 75'. We turned South and began swimming along this dropoff (20' drop). We ran into a school of shad along the way. Thousands of fish, swimming in unison. We swam up to the big stump at 55' and continued along the 55' wall. We then dropped down to the forest at 65-75' (remains of upright trees) and enjoyed swimming through them in the twilight. We then swam up and over part of the trench to the 65' ledge. One diver was running low on air so I headed East over the trench again to the angel statue and on upward to the gnome and 35-40' ledge. We spotted a large gar here. From there were angled upward to the 15' dropoff and swam South towards the Dam. Upon reaching the Dam, we turn West to the plane. Unbelieveable! There was a school of shad (thousands) almost covering the plane. We spent several minutes watching them. We then angled upward to our 15' safety stop and again encountering the shad. Here the stripers were chasing them. We saw 8 stripers over 10 pounds. This is the way to do a safety stop. Dive was to 75' for 1:04. What a great dive. Of course I had to call those who bailed out for fear of rain:D

ive got a few of my buddys together
and hopefully we are heading down there this Sunday coming
sounds like a neat place

scubanick:
ive got a few of my buddys together
and hopefully we are heading down there this Sunday coming
sounds like a neat place

I would recommend the Lake over the river this coming weekend. We had a heavy rain Saturday and the river muddied up. They are calling for more rain Wed. I'm not sure if the river will clear by then. If you were thinking about the river for Sunday, let me know and I'll let you know how it is looking towards the end of the week.
We dove the Lake again Sunday and had good vis (12-15') and saw several large bass. Water temp was 64 degrees on the surface and mid fifties at depth. With the warm air temps, it is easy to get two dives in. I still recommend at least a 7mm jumpsuit, hood and gloves. A few of us are diving Saturday morning. A couple of the regulars are out of town this weekend (one is giving up the pristine clark hill silt for the corrosive properties of the salt water in Monterrey,CA - envy, envy). We haven't planned anything for sure Sunday yet. We usually do our first dive about 1pm on Sundays (though this is a bit flexible). Let me know if you would like to join us and/or have an orientation to the sites. The plane is easy to find. The other stuff takes a little navigation.

thats what i meant...go to the lake and dive
where u talk about that plane and gnome and angel statue
hope to be goin there

We had two great dives this morning. We started a little early at 8am today as one diver had to take care of the kids at noon and we wanted to get two dives in. A bit early as the sun was not fully on the lake yet - so vis was a little less the first dive. We had about 8-10' vis first dive and about 12' the second with better light penetration. It is warming up a bit. Water temp is 68 degree in the first 14'. Vis is actually a little better at depth. First dive was 105' for 59 min.. We began our dive dropping down to the 35-40' ledge. We swam past the gnome and onward to the angel statue. We went through the trench to the forest and then dropped down to the 100' wall. We turned South and swam upward to the 80' wall. Vis was good here - 15' or so. We exited the 80' wall at the log/dive flag and swam to the 3 big rocks at 54'. We did a deep stop and swam South to the airplane. After swimming in and around the plane, we went up the rocks to our safety stop (5 min.). On our way back in to shore we ran into a large school of shad - thousands swimming in unison. We spent 5 or so minutes watching them before exiting.
For Dive two(77' for 48 min.), we walked over to hippie cove for our entry. Shortly after descent we came upon a 25 pound catfish. We continued down the cove dropoff until we hit the North wall at 75'. We turned South along the wall and swam to the big stump and upward to the 55' ledge. We then dropped down to the forest at 70'. No lights needed on this dive. We then angled upward to the 65'ledge to the trench, to the angel statue and gnome on the 35-40' ledge. We dropped down to the pool filters and to the three big rocks and onward to the plane. We finished up with our safety stop on the rocks (2 large bass). A good day of diving.

diveprof:
We had two great dives this morning. We started a little early at 8am today as one diver had to take care of the kids at noon and we wanted to get two dives in. A bit early as the sun was not fully on the lake yet - so vis was a little less the first dive. We had about 8-10' vis first dive and about 12' the second with better light penetration. It is warming up a bit. Water temp is 68 degree in the first 14'. Vis is actually a little better at depth. First dive was 105' for 59 min.. We began our dive dropping down to the 35-40' ledge. We swam past the gnome and onward to the angel statue. We went through the trench to the forest and then dropped down to the 100' wall. We turned South and swam upward to the 80' wall. Vis was good here - 15' or so. We exited the 80' wall at the log/dive flag and swam to the 3 big rocks at 54'. We did a deep stop and swam South to the airplane. After swimming in and around the plane, we went up the rocks to our safety stop (5 min.). On our way back in to shore we ran into a large school of shad - thousands swimming in unison. We spent 5 or so minutes watching them before exiting.
For Dive two(77' for 48 min.), we walked over to hippie cove for our entry. Shortly after descent we came upon a 25 pound catfish. We continued down the cove dropoff until we hit the North wall at 75'. We turned South along the wall and swam to the big stump and upward to the 55' ledge. We then dropped down to the forest at 70'. No lights needed on this dive. We then angled upward to the 65'ledge to the trench, to the angel statue and gnome on the 35-40' ledge. We dropped down to the pool filters and to the three big rocks and onward to the plane. We finished up with our safety stop on the rocks (2 large bass). A good day of diving.

A correction on the large school of fish seen. They were blueback herring, not shad.

Great dive in the river today. Four of us diving today. We had 12' vis, lots of fish. We dove around the North end of the 5th Street marina, the train trestle. and the remains of the old hamburg docks. 21' of depth for 1:15.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom