Dive computer/ internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mndolphin

Reaction score
Is there anybody that has ordered a computer from leisurepro?
I have a couple questions. Did you have good or bad experience?, Did you have to return for service? If itwas an uwatec or other computer that isnt supposed to be sold over the internet, what did you do about servicing? Do you send it to scubapro or leisurepro to get it serviced or get batteries changed.
How long did it take? can you take to lds for service?
I am thinking about getting one over the internet and really would appreciate any help you could give me?

including an Oceanic Data Plus. Never had any problems. Only return I've ever had to make was a pair of booties (I ordered wrong size) and that was no problem. Oceanic does not permit online sales so it must have been grey market, thus no Oceanic warrenty. Not much that can be serviced with a computer other than battery change which is done by the user with Oceanic computers. So mfgr warrenty was not an issue. Generally, I have found the cost savings an online dealer warrenty simply does not justify the large LDS retail markup associated with mfgr warrenty.

While your mouse is doing the shopping, check out www.scubastore.com. For stuff that is made in europe, like Apeks & Scubapro reg, their prices are often better than LP. Although they are in Spain, their shipments are usually sitting on your doorstep in 4 or 5 days.

I too have ordered a few things from LP including S&S MX10, Suunto Cobra with SK7 and a few other things. Usually they arrived within 3 to 4 days. Never had a problem with any of the equipment I have ordered so I never had to send it back. LP offers their own warranty as opposed to a manufacturer warranty so you would need to send it to LP for service.

When I did get my Cobra, I noticed that it did not come with the original manual. Instead it was a copy of a manual and for the wrong computer, but I was able to download it from the Suunto Website so it was no big deal.

I short, I had really good experience with LP and I would buy from them again.

Hope this helps.

I too have had no problems with leisurepro. I have purchased a coba computer, ATX 200 Reg, Henderson Wetsuit and all have arrived within a few days. I have never had to send anything back yet, so I can't comment on their return policy.

I wanted to buy my computer online, but am glad I didn't. I picked up the Uwatec SmartCom, and it didn't calculate RBT nor did it monitor breathing. I went to my dive shop, told 'em the problem and they handed me a different one and I was off.

With LeisurePro, you do have to send them in. I'm not sure what the warranty situation is, but I know that Uwatec/ScubaPro is very fussy w/ warranty. Just be careful. The last thing I would want to have out of warranty is a $700 computer....

And I agonized for a couple of weeks on where to buy from. Save money online, or get great service from my dive shop. Glad I went w/ the dive shop....but I do miss the couple of hundred dollars I could have saved.

Keep in mind that unlike regs the "limited" warranty on the computers is only good for 1 to 2 years depending on the brand. I bought my computer from LP for almost half the price that my LDS quoted me. I have had it for less than a year and it won't really bother if it breaks on me anytime soon. I'll just get another one, maybe even a different brand.
I know a diver that bought a wrist computer with a two-year warranty from a LDS, it stopped working after a year or so. He took it back and was given a loaner (you can't really get this service online). He was then told that the warranty did not cover loss, I can't remember the exact detail. He told me that the LDS was nice enough to hook him up with a replacement at a fantastic price.
To make the long story short, there is now doubt that the LDS could provide you with great service, however, I personally prefer to take my chances and save by buying my computer online. When it comes to regs or BC I my only choice would be my LDS, I want the service, the warranty, and peace of mind, regardless of how big the markup is.
:bounce:

THANKS FOR THE INFO.
I am not sure but, it looks like I am going the internet route (unless I win the lottery)
If I wait till I can afford to buy my equiptment (and my husbands) from the LDS, I will miss out on alot of dives!!

I bought a Suunto Vyper from LeisurePro. Probably like many others, I was agonizing over purchasing essential equipment over the Internet... especially since Suunto's warranty is void if you buy over the net. After researching the computer and looking over LeisurePro's own warranty, I decided to take the plunge (so to speak).

LP's warranty card came packaged with the computer. I filled it out and sent it back the same day. Just as NK5 said, the warranty on computers are generally 1 or 2 year limited. If it breaks, I don't really have a problem buying a new one. Plus, since it's a Suunto, replacing the battery isn't a problem because I can do it myself.

Based on my experience, I would recommend buying a computer from LP.

I bought my Suunto Viper from LP about a year and a half ago. I've hed no problems with it so I can't comment on warranty service.

The Suunto Mosquito I bought from them seems to have been grey market merchandise. The instruction manual was in German. I went back to LP and they gave me a different manual.

I have also bought a BC and reg from them. I have been able to have the reg serviced by my LDS. I pay for parts as well as labor but it doesn't amount to much.

When I think about how much money I saved by buying my wet suit at LP I just want to get up and do a little dance of joy. In fact, I plan to go over there this afternoon to try on some 7mm suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom