Cochran EMC-16 or EMC-20?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefCrew

Registered
Reaction score
I have gone through the board and I have gone through the Cochran web site and I am certain I will be getting a Cochran computer.

I am a brand new diver well certified anyways and from this point on I will be diving on a regular basis around the world. Some personal diving and some research.

Conditions ranging from the cold waters of the great lakes and the North Sea to the warm waters of the Red Sea.

At this point I can't say that I won't be using trimix but it is not likely, although I have been wrong before.

My question is for those of you who use the computer what config would get you the best bang for your buck as far as current dives single tank with air only or nitrox but still gives me enough room to grow and advance without having to upgrade.

What would be an ideal configuration for a mostly recreational diver that knows there will be times that going beyond recreational limits will be a must.

Thought and comments please.

Don't forget to purchase the $300 software and hardware to be able to actually pull the dives off the computer.

Get the cheaper one. Because with the extra $300 you'll end up being just as much as the higher one.

If you go into mix, you'll end up getting a VR3 anyways and using the cochran as a "bottom timer".

ok, if I go with the 16. What config should I get? What gas config should I get?

EMC-16 1 FO2
EMC-16 2 FO2
EMC-16 1 FO2 1 PO2
EMC-16 2 FO2 2 PO2

Generally with the Cochran computers...

Get the number of gasses you use now or are planning on using in the immediate future, i.e. have a class scheduled or planned within a reasonable time frame. So, unless you already have training on using two different gasses on a single dive, or will be getting that training soon, just get the 1FO2 which is the single gas version.

You will probably also get the Analyst software, and if you do you should get the smallest amount of memory in the computer. With the software you can download the dive profiles onto your Windows based computer so there is no need to store them in the dive computer.

Pick a bright color so you can find the computer when it is in your dive bag, unless this is not important to you. You can also pick the red or yellow backlight, I think the yellow is a little easier for me to read, others find the red easier.

Have fun,

Mark Vlahos

Software is a must, so that I will be getting for sure.
I think reading the posts on the boards I will go with the Yellow backlight. It seems that most say the red is hard to read or the yellow is much easier. Have yet to find someone saying got the yellow should have bought the red.

Should be doing the training at the beginning of next dive season.

Thanks for the assistance. Now all I have to do is either find a canadian dealer who actually has a reasonable price on things or find an american store that has a good reputation and can and will assist if any issues should arrive.

ReefCrew:
Software is a must, so that I will be getting for sure.
I think reading the posts on the boards I will go with the Yellow backlight. It seems that most say the red is hard to read or the yellow is much easier. Have yet to find someone saying got the yellow should have bought the red.

Should be doing the training at the beginning of next dive season.

Thanks for the assistance. Now all I have to do is either find a canadian dealer who actually has a reasonable price on things or find an american store that has a good reputation and can and will assist if any issues should arrive.

For an American dealer Joel at Tech Diving Limited is top notch. He dives Cochran computers himself.

I have absolutely no idea what his prices translate to in Canandian Dollars, but I would suggest a telephone call to the shop and talk to someone personally since they may be able to work with you on price on the telephone better than the website prices.

Mark Vlahos

Thanks for the link, Not worried about the exchange, the issue that I have found a lot in various industries is that the US price could be $500.00 the Canadian price will be $850-$900 when if I had bought direct from the USA with the conversion it would have cost $575.

Although I would prefer to buy in Canada it is far cheaper to buy from the USA.

I would agree with Mark that Tech Diving Limited is a good source for information and purchasing a Cochran computer. I am in the market myself and Joel has been very informative as to which unit is the best for my needs. As for followup after the sale, I have spent $1000's with TDL and they have always been great with their support and assistance.

Tegg:
If you go into mix, you'll end up getting a VR3 anyways and using the cochran as a "bottom timer".

Why's that? I'm looking into an EMC-20H with the expectation of using it for trimix. PM's fine if you want - don't mean to hijack the thread.

ReefCrew, check out scubatoys.com also. They sell Cochrans (best prices I've found anywhere - ask over the phone for the scubaboard discount, I think it's 10%), and everyone on this board raves about their customer service.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom