How much weight should you put in your trim pouches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeronimoDF

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,
I have a Zegle Ranger BCD and I am trying to figure out how mch weight I should put in the trim pockets on the back before I go into the water. I do not have a chance to try different amounts of weight before I go diving. I am 6'2 and about 180 with a 3 ml wetsuit. Is there a min or a max. Someone told me to put two fives in the back? Does that sound like to much? Thanks guys....

I have always heard that a good starting point is 1/3 in the trim and 1/3 in each of the front pockets. that is what I have always used. You might have to fine tune from there to get it just right but I think that will give you a starting point.

Dive safe.

Chad

At times I dont have five total back there.....that sounds excessive to me

Look at the poll on this very subject trim weights

I'm 6ft, 215# with a 3ml jumpsuit and a SeaQuest Pro QD. I use 10lbs. in freshwater with two 2's in the trim pockets and two 3's in the front pockets. In saltwater I use between 14-16lbs. and just keep the same kind of ratio (two 3's in back and two 4's in front, etc.). It's been working great for me.

As much as you need :)

Yeah, I know, I'm a jack***

I normally use about 24 lbs with my cold water gear (7 mil). I put 10 in the trim pockets and 14 on the belt. The ratio seems to be about what the others are using. Tomorrow I think that I will try just 22 lbs. split 10 and 12. You will need to decide how much as it varies from one person to the next. The ratio seems to stay at about one third to one half of the weight in the back. I try and make sure that sufficient weight for ditching is left on the belt.

None

I used to put a 2 or 3 pounder back there but I found it more comfortable when I realized I didn't need them in at all.

But that's just me and what I prefer...

Cold water
6.5 mil semi-dry
SP Knighthawk (very similar to the Ranger)
18 pounds of weight (one 5# and one 4# in each front pouch).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom