Oceanic Omega.... durable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamDiver14

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been told by many people that the Oceanic Omega is one of the most durable and dependable second stage regs on the market. What do the statistics that Oceanic has compiled reflect on this? I ask because I just put a Omega on for a octo reg. due to these reccomendations. What do you think?

Hi SamDiver,

I've used the Omega II as an octo for many years. It has been in production for more than 20 years with a solid reputation. It is a pilot or servo valve design, which can be more sensitive than the typical downstream demand valve. The octos are tuned to minimize this. One of the most common complaints about the Omega is that it freeflows on the surface - keep in mind that due to the side exhaust/inhalation diaphragm positioning - the typical "put the mouthpice down" on the surface will frustrate you - it should be immersed when you enter the water so that the exhaust port is facing up. Once the housing has filled with water, position is not an issue.

The benefits of the design include very few moving parts, no upside down position (my ideal feature in an octo), and a very durable Lexan housing to protect it.

Hope that helps, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Doug

SamDiver14:
Hi,

I have been told by many people that the Oceanic Omega is one of the most durable and dependable second stage regs on the market. What do the statistics that Oceanic has compiled reflect on this? I ask because I just put a Omega on for a octo reg. due to these reccomendations. What do you think?

I've had one for a few years now and you will not be sorry. The surface free flow is an issue but just follw waht DK said and all will be well.

The Omega has been around since the 70's and the pilot valve design has been around since the first single hose reg / pilot valve was made by Poseidon in the 50's. Look at the resemblance between those regs.

The Oceanic Zeta was a pilot design and a very good easy breather loved by many cave divers for the small size and the smaller purge size swimming against current.

I have a swival 180 now for rec I wish I had an Omega, want to trade, lol?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom