When to Get First Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

origamiman

Reaction score
I'm pretty much a newbie just out of my open water dive. I've got all the basic gear - the less expensive parts, at least: fins, mask, snorkel, booties, knife.

I'm curious when I should take the next step and start buying the big stuff: BCD, wetsuit, etc. Obviously, it's really expensive, but renting gear is hardly worth it - I could buy my own gear after 10 rentals-worth. However, I've not sure what maintenance is like either.

I know it would depend on how much I dive, but I'm only about 6 hours from Rocky Point, MX, so I could go on weekends if I wanted (and could convince my buddy). My feelings are that maybe if I had my own stuff, it would encourage me to go more often?

Also, maybe I should wait since I'm really pretty inexperienced? Should I wait until I've gone on a bunch of dives so that I can figure out what I really want?

Thanks!

origamiman:
Also, maybe I should wait since I'm really pretty inexperienced? Should I wait until I've gone on a bunch of dives so that I can figure out what I really want?

Thanks!

I vote wait and try to make friends in the local diving community, see what they're using and why it works. See if the shop has some demo quality equipment (IE stuff they sell instead of a bunch of base model BCs they give to OW students) to rent or borrow from one of the staff to try it out. If your shop is anything like the norm, all of the staff will be wearing gear that they sell.

I would go so far as to suggest you don't buy any gear until you suffer that first 'Oh Sh!t' moment. Some people get turned off on the sport and quit after the smallest scare or potential incident. If you handle it and are still turned on about diving try looking for some of the folks who reacted differently and see what they have for sale.

Once you get into a group of dive buddies you might find some extra gear available for you to borrow too, I could outfit 3 divers with all the excess kit in my basement. The sooner you fork over the cash for the gear, the sooner you'll be replacing and upgrading. Or else you'll go all out for the top o the line and realize later that it isn't exactly vogue, or maybe all the bells and whistles are more a distraction than a benefit, etc.

Ya, I think you're right - I'll just sit tight and try not to go nuts over all the cool toys I see in the dive shop. It's better to just wait a bit, I think.

Thanks again!

I agree with CD. I originally bought all my own gear after my first open water dives on my own. My g/f of the time bought all of hers while completing her OW in order to get significant discounts for the both of us. Fortunately for me, I love this sport and have been using that same gear for over 4 years. Unfortunately for her, she doesnt dive anymore b/c we broke up and she didnt like it as much as me to begin with. I think you should put about maybe a year of diving in, or maybe 10 dives and then purchase your own gear (if finances dictate that). The quicker you do buy however, enables you to pay that off and justify it because you aren;t wasting money renting.

My view is totally the opposite... I purchased everything right from the get go. I knew diving was for me right after I took that 1st pull off the reg underwater! The result of my purchase is that I now have over 100 dives and have been to some nice places to dive. My buds that went through the class with me always say, " I'd go, but I don't want to waste $$$ renting.... I could afford the trip if it weren't for the rentals."

To agree with one point... take time in your gear choices. Go to several shops and hear the schpeals on why this or that is better...read here... and ask other divers...then make an informed choice. As far as the online option for gear...read the well posted discussions here that give both the pros and cons of online purchases....again make an informed decission

Finally any additional posts after this please avoid your opinion on online purchases...I didn't give mine and as we all know that horse is now a smear in the dirt form being beaten.

YEAH! Let's turn this into another LDS vs. online thread! (Just kidding. I wouldn't wish that on anyone).

There are very good arguments for waiting to buy your gear until you have rented some various pieces of equipment and seen what's around. On the other hand, the cost and hassle of renting keeps you out of the water.

I bought all my gear at the end of my certification class. I replaced most of it six months later -- the regs were okay. But I don't regret having bought what I bought, because those six months involved about 70 dives, and when I re-bought, I bought the right stuff.

It's up to the diver. The problem with buying gear right away is that you're going to wind up with a lot of stuff that you probably wouldn't have bought a little farther down the line. There is no time- or diveline for this. When the person is ready to whip out the credit card, well that's the time to start buying.
There's a lot of choices though - lots of gear that people on this board use I would not ever use, although they seem happy. It is always cheaper to buy something once and maybe pay a little more than you wanted to instead of 2 or 3 times though buying junk.
Conversely, some of my equipment choices might make them roll their eyes.

You should invest in your own gear as soon as you decide you enjoy diving - this due to both hygiene and safety issues.
In spite of all the discussions on SB very few items nowadays could actually be classified as "bad", which is why there is a marked tendency for people to recommend the gear they use.
You will actually be safer diving with a middle-priced BC that you use regularly than a top-line rental model. Simply because you get to know it and can reach the controls fast in an emergency. You will also dive calmer because you know when it was last serviced and its familiarity is one less stress item.
And if you don't buy the ideal model initially, so what, it's still good experience and you can e-bay it and put the proceeds towards your next model.
IMHO there's no such thing as the ideal piece of equipment anyway. I've got a whole room full of gear to testify to that. With three divers in the family we probably have as much gear as the average LDS has on display. :wink:

We bought gear almost right after getting certified. My husband knew exactly what he wanted and our LDS put together a package for him. It took a little longer for me, and after buying my initial kit, I've since replaced my octo, my BC, and my fins/mask (due to age breakage). The biggest difference between my husband and me is that he knew what he preferred in a BC and has always been extremely pleased. Unfortunately, I listened to other women divers and bought a BC before really understanding my own diving/fit preferences. I started with a jacket BC and after only about 20 dives, knew I hated it and sold it on e-bay. I immediately bought a back inflate and have been happy as a clam since then.

My caution to you is to make sure you really check everything out before you buy. Do your homework, try on as much gear as you can (in the water would be preferred), talk to a lot of folks, only buy the things that you're 100% sure about, and don't compromise or talk yourself into something because it's a "good deal" or part of a package. If you can rent the exact gear you're considering, definitely do it.

At the end of it all, when you have all your new toys, know that you may be replacing bits and pieces in the next year or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom