Opinions on zeagle ranger..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edge

Reaction score
for an scuba instructor. A friend, not me.

Would it be considered as standard equipment that diveshops would allow you to teach using them?

Edge once bubbled...
for an scuba instructor. A friend, not me.
for a friend...
not you...
sure...
:wink:

~~~~~~~~~

Just kidding you Edge....
Tell your friend that the Ranger is standard uniform for many of the recreational instructors out here in the PNW... and of course they sell like hot cakes to the newbies too.

I have one. It's ok. Better than most BC's out there that I've tried but not as good as my buddies Halcyon BP/Wing...at least IMO. I'm planning on replacing my Ranger with a Halcyon setup when I can afford it. The old Ranger-->Ebay-->BP/Wing Maneuver :wink:

It's a good enough BC. Although I replaced mine with a B/P + wing, if I had to buy a conventional BC again I'd probably go with the Zeagle. It's durable, really solidly constructed to survive the rigours of instructing.

Just 2 problems I found using it during training... 1. it's very positively buoyant for a BC, I'd say at least 2 pounds' worth. This means he'll have to bring extra weight down, and it can get a little floaty and difficult when doing, say, underwater BC-removal skills. 2. Being soft-backed its kind of hard to take off/put on a tank in a hurry. Sort of minor I guess, but a problem nonetheless.

My advice... if he wants to buy Zeagle, buy the Escape or the Scout. The Ranger might be a bit much for Singapore/regional diving; their smaller range seems perfect.

Oops. Too many dives...or is that possible?

Like DiveDive, I've had a couple of different BC's but I now use a Ranger. It is solidly constructed and well balanced underwater.

I haven't noticed a problem with keeping upright at the surface--a common complaint---and I've found I don't need trim weights at all with this system (even with my AL80). It may be due to the fact I was trained with back inflation way back in '76 and I'm used to it. I have heard some complaints from others on this issue, but the Zeagle does have a provision for using trim weights to correct this if necessary.

Despite some criticisms I've read of its integrated ballast system, I like the design and find the ability to dive without a belt in warm water and with only a light supplemental belt (as my primary "ditchable" weight) in cold water.

My one complaint, like DiveDive, is that it is slightly bouyant. On my first dives with it, I had to load up with a couple of more pounds of weight than I used with my old Sherwood wraparound.

Zeagle is a good company and the Ranger is a good rig. Just tell your friend to be aware that it is a rather "big" BC for travel (but I've packed mine and, with care, it travels okay).

GP once bubbled...
I have one. It's ok. Better than most BC's out there that I've tried but not as good as my buddies Halcyon BP/Wing...at least IMO. I'm planning on replacing my Ranger with a Halcyon setup when I can afford it. The old Ranger-->Ebay-->BP/Wing Maneuver :wink:
I bought a Ranger before I even knew about BP/Wing. I will do the same as GP later down the road.

I have the Ranger and the OMS BP/IQ/Wing system.

And I like both. The Ranger is very good for single tank relaxing recreational dives where it's just me, the water, a camera, and fun.

But the BP/Wing setup is better when I'm working on tekkie stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom