Suunto download with USB to Serial converter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichKirby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a new Suunto Mosquito. I am able to download without any problems using my desktop which has a serial connection. I am unable, however, to download to my laptop using a Prolific USB to Serial converter cable and software. I even tried d/l'ing Suunto's USB driver without any effect. I've tried to use the connection wizard and I've tried the right click and connect function. I've even tried using v1.6. I can't seem to get it to d/l to my laptop. My laptop shows Com 4 Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port as being active and with no problems. Anyone have a suggestions as I've tried all I know.

How many times have you tried it? I have a serial to USB adapter on my desktop. It is difficult sometimes to get the silly thing to download. Sometimes it takes 5 - 10 tries, rebooting the program between tries. What error message are you getting? If all else fails, Suunto does have a USB cord that will eliminate the need for the adapter, which I think will eliminate the problem. It's about $40. I'm not that annoyed yet.

Using the download wizard that pops up when you start v2.3, I get "Device not found" error. Using the right click under dive computer, connect, mosquito, transfer method, I get "Operation timed out (99)" error.

I believe I get a timed out error with v1.6 also.

There are 2 possibilities:

1) The pc-software uses bitbanging, which performs bad on every USB-to-serial converter. I think however that this is not the problem in this case, since the mosquito produces standard 2400,N,8,1 data.

2) The USB-to-serial converter delivers not enough power. Since a serial port has no option at all for powering a device (as opposed to USB), an unofficial (not in the standard) trick has to be used to derive power from the serial port. This works in 90% of the cases, but might fail in the other cases.

Since I'm experimenting with the same USB converter myself to reverse engineer another DC-computer interface, I do have observed that the power from such a converter is much less than from a 'normal' serial port and also badly regulated.

Anybody out there that's used a USB/Serial converter and a Suunto dive computer that has any suggestions?

If you haven't seen it already here is a site with lots of info for constructing your own Suunto interface cables. There is now a diagram and parts list for building a USB cable in addition to the serial cables. Building the USB cable requires the use of a chip that you won't be able to just pick up at RadioShack - it's a little more involved than the serial version.

I just got a Vyper off Ebay. It showed up yesterday and I'm looking to link it to my laptop (no serial ports). I need a serial/USB converter for another project and was going to use it with a (DIY) serial cable for my Vyper, but maybe I would be better off building the USB cable. One thing - I'm not paying $99 for a Suunto cable. That's just rediculous. Considering personal time + cost of parts it's probably cheaper to buy the cable, but I just can't bring myself to pay $99 for something that probably cost them $2.

-Ben M.

Yeah, I've seen the site. Is there no one around the board building these things for sale anymore? I know there was a guy on this site for a long time, but he disappeared off the face of the earth. There is absolutely no way I would pay almost $100 for the Suunto USB cable.

Another solution is to use a higher quality USB-Serial converter. The Prolific ones are hit-or-miss. Ones using the FT232 chipset seem to work better. Choosing a name brand over a no-name import is likely to help. I generally recommend Keyspan brand adapters for this.

-Mark

maractwin:
Another solution is to use a higher quality USB-Serial converter. The Prolific ones are hit-or-miss. Ones using the FT232 chipset seem to work better. Choosing a name brand over a no-name import is likely to help. I generally recommend Keyspan brand adapters for this.

-Mark

Grrr! I was afraid of that. I can't believe there aren't more used Suunto USB cables for sale on ebay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom