Samba during Tolerance Tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lungfish

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions...
How many of you who spearfish, snorkel or freedive, practice Tolerance Tables?

I wonder how many of you Samba when you are doing tables? Particularly when the ventilation cycle doesn't allow for an even number breaths that end exactly when you should start your next static..... do any of you find yourselves in a Samba during the first 30secs????

Lungfish

hey lungfish..this is getting a lot more response over at db eh? anyway.. I really should get into tables training.. can I ask you a question.. did you get noticeable improvement in static times after starting? and did it add much to your underwater times? and were the results quick? I'm so lazy.... I used to train quite a lot but not the tables.. and only samba's a few times after laps in the pool. I need to get motivated again, but shoot, I hate holding my breath. Time to find the tables on the hard drive or go searching...

I have done the tables but I don't do them alot. I'm sure I would if my motives were competition though. I have never had a true Samba, if you are referring to arm/leg convulsions. Have you guys seen the samba/lmc videos? Interesting stuff!

Yea, deeperblue has it going on... sometimes you find folks out here though...

Regarding "holdingmybreath": You will see dramatic improvements in both durations and comfort levels. If you are tolerance training and you learn how to initialize the mammalian diving reflex, you will amaze yourself and anybody watching you. The results are quick.

The main issue is doing the ventilations properly prior to the static. You tell yourself that you are saturating but are you actually doing the ventilation correctly so that you will saturate?

I don't think it matters so much if you are competing or not, it's more about doing one thing out of water that will enhance your time in water tremendously.

Sambas can arise from several different kinds of gas imbalances. That is the great thing about tolerance training - it makes you very familiar with your body, gas balances, apnea sensations, etc. I practice sitting up with a stopwatch in hand and I make it a point not to let myself trance-out or daydream. The purpose is to learn the sensations and improve your tolerance to hypoxia and C02.

I never would have believed that I could hold my breath for five minutes, much less do it as an ascending table and then do it TWICE, back-to-back.... its amazing.

You should see what a phase 20 table looks like... I posted it on another thread in this forum....

Lungfish

I just spoke with Fred Buyle via email and his suggestion was to do hypoxic training in the pool swimming dynamics. I'm transitioning from the gym to the pool starting today. I have been doing cardio apnea on cardio machines at the gym and they sure do help with CO2 tolerence - kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak....

Back
Top Bottom