Dive Rite NiTek Duo Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndySCUBA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the market for a new dive computer and am considering the Dive Rite NiTek Duo. I am a recreational diver right now but would like to expand into technical wreck diving maybe within a couple of years. I like the fact that this computer allows for two different gas blends that can be switched during the dive. Does anybody have any experience with this computer or have any recommendations for one that may work better? Thanks.

Personally I think that by the time you get into technical diving, that you will discover that you won't want to rely on a computer for deco management. The gas switching feature is interesting on the duo, but I wouldn't plan to use it on a technical dive. I do use a Suunto Vyper for non-technical diving with a single gas mix (air or EAN up to 40%). Beyond that, I use a bottom timer and tables to plan my dives.

IndySCUBA:
I am in the market for a new dive computer and am considering the Dive Rite NiTek Duo. I am a recreational diver right now but would like to expand into technical wreck diving maybe within a couple of years. I like the fact that this computer allows for two different gas blends that can be switched during the dive. Does anybody have any experience with this computer or have any recommendations for one that may work better? Thanks.

Mine failed after a year...do a search on the forums and see how many others failed as well. Luckily, it was still under warranty. My Oceanic Versa Pro failed after 6 months. I'm told the UWATEC's are good...

We have had zero problems with our TUSA IQ-700 dive computers - you should consider these as alternatives to the NiTek Duo, except thay have a 2 year warranty where the Duo has a 1 year warranty, and come with a scratch protector where that's a separate item to purchase for the Duo.

The newer 2-mix version of the Cressi Sub Archimede would be another option. If we didn't already have IQ-700 computers, the user-configurable ppO2 alarm feature would probably steer me towards these units as that isn't user configurable on the IQ-700 or Duo.

The Bikini Atoll dive group is a place to use for reference - note they approve only the 'upgraded' version of the Nitek Duo - presumably due to the problems experienced with some of the earlier batches.

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/fabioletter.html

I purchased 2 Tusa computers that where the same models as the Dive Rite Duo. They where both 20 feet off on my first dive(Local Quarry luckily). I talked to the place where I bought them and we decided to reset them. The worked correctly the next dive. I then took them on a trip to Florida. One of them worked good the whole time the other one read 30-40 feet on the boat and then went into deco and did a bunch of other strange stuff. I sent them back and got Aeris computers 3 dives on them and they work great.

Edit: I think I would stay away from this model of computer made by Seiko.

I have a Tusa IQ 700 that has worked flawlessly for many dives. I bought it with the same idea that you have - a multigas computer would be useful when I started tec diving. The catch is that the Tusa/Duo/etc only allow you to use two gases and you may find yourself using two deco gases plus your backgas and the Tusa only allows you one. If you are planning ahead, try to look at computers that allow you three gases. The Suunto Vytec and Scubapro/Uwatec Smart Tec are two that are currently available. You can also pick up a used Dive Rite Nitek 3. All of these allow you a gage mode if you decide to dive only tables.

Jackie

My wife and I haven't had any problems with our IQ700s. We've had them for about a year and 150 dives now.

I use a Nitek Plus, my wife uses a Duo. They have worked flawlessly throughout their lives. Had the Duo been released when I bought the Plus, I would have bought it (bigger numbers- bad eyes). Even the batteries last longer than advertised. I have ordered a Duo as a back-up. I do agree, however, with a point by "Fun Diver". Always back yourself up with tables. If you cannot buy multiple computers, always have tables cut. "Mr. Murphy" is always hanging on our shoulder wating for the "UH OH". One final note - if you're going tech, and want a computer, look at the HE or open your wallet for the VR3. These can be added to the above mentioned computers when you set them as "bottom timers". Still - cut the tables & throw them in your pocket before you jump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom