Alabama Point Jetties 4-23-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Finally rounded up a buddy late yesterday, being as it was so late, figured we'd try to catch slack high tide at the Alabama Point Jetties. High Tide was supposed to be around 7PM, we were in the water around 7:30-8PM and still noticed the current was moving(very lightly) incoming, which was good. Visibility was 20-25' and the water was in the low 70sF and very very comfortable.

There is a ton of life out now that the water is warming up. Lots of baitfish, pinfish, bluefish, and spades schooling. There were even a school of squid that kept track of us throughout the dive. I saw 2 octopii and Josh L. spotted a third shallow(<5' of water) on the west side of the jetties as we were about to exit. There were toadfish and robinfish along the bottom. Sheepshead looked like they sleeping amongst the rocks. We also finally spotted some flounder :D I shot 3 and Josh took a single fish. I also spotted a decently sized grouper near the point, and I'm nearly positive its a Goliath(20#s or so). I've seen him there a few times now, but never got as good a look at him as I did last night. I maxed out at 31' and the dive lasted 58 minutes, still leaving 1000psi in my tank. We started the dive on the east side of the jetties, followed them out to the point and rounded it, before swimming the jetties up the west side and making the long walk back to the parking area.

Geared down at the Bronco of Doom, hit the hooters for some 3 mile wings and cold beer, then off home and to bed. Great night of diving! I'm hoping for another tonight!

Back
Top Bottom